RedHat rpm question: Reconstructing rpm file from installed package?

From: Steve Wampler (swampler_at_noao.edu)
Date: 10/01/03

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:41:21 -0700

I'm about to do an upgrade of some packages on a (remote) RH8.0
system. Before doing so, I'd like to save off the currently
installed packages so I can restore them if things go horribly
wrong... (Since it's a remote machine [several time zones
away] I can't just pop in the RH8 cd's and reinstall from there.

Is there a tool that can reconstruct binary rpm files from
packages that are installed on a system? (If that tool is
either 'rpm' or 'rpmbuild' I'd love some hints on what the
right options would be!)

Thanks,
Steve