Re: ldt allocation failed of 2.4.22 kernel

From: Carfield Yim (carfield_at_desktop.carfield.com.hk)
Date: 10/02/03

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:08:08 +0800

> I don't know a whole lot about the kernel either, and I'll admit that
> this next method is ham-fisted and tedious, but it might just work:
>
> 1) Start with the stock kernel, recompile it, and use the kernel binary
> thus created. If this has any problems, then something is wrong with
> your compilation process.
>
> 2) Take your list of changes and split it up into several small groups.
>
> 3) Apply one small group of changes to the kernel, recompile, use. If
> this has no problems, then repeat with the next small group.
>
> 4) Optionally, take the small group with the problem and split it into
> smaller groups, then repeat step 3.
>
> 5) Once you've narrowed the problem down to a decently small group of
> changes, then post that group and ask for help.

Good suggestion, I will try to find sometime to do it later.

Besides, I at least need to add some module for a compiled kernel for my
hardware, they are SCSI, aic7xxxx driver, reiserfs, realtek RTL-8139 to
at least make my kernel able to run.

Will it give any hint to you??

Relevant Pages

  • Re: kernel source for fedora
    ... Thufir Hawat wrote: ... you're on the level, things are very strange. ... your kernel and networking and yet you don't know what an ISO image is? ... Why do you think you have to recompile, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: relativity is like Linux
    ... >>>then you need to reconfig, recompile, etc ... I haven't compiled a kernel ... >you may use my code and programs you fool, ... >are you calling it a distro, i build my distro, you are fool, thank ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: The ext3 way of journalling
    ... may damage your filesystem; Only an FSCK can see how much of damage is ... Another typical FOSS answer. ... Compiling the Linux kernel is too painful. ... And recompile and recompile and recompile ad infinitum, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... You recompile your kernel only if you have narrowed down the error to ... Sheesh, Unruh! ... it's got decent community support. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • RE: adding new hardware
    ... I was afraid somebody was going to say this (recompile the kernel). ... stage of the installation (modprobe ndiswrapper), ... Unfortunately, the driver didn't. ...
    (RedHat)