Re: New virus?

From: Dave (shuvit_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 10/04/03

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:18:08 -0700

"Michael Heiming" <michael+USENET@www.heiming.de> wrote in message
news:jppmlb.ak.ln@news.heiming.de...
> Dave <shuvit@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> [...]
> > Question: Why the ban on HTML? I can see not including graphics that
need
> > be downloaded, but simple stuff like text formatting can make a message
much
> > easier to read (depending, of course, on the content). Plain text is
> > adequate for this group, and most others, but a discussion among
> > mathematicians might be difficult.
>
> Many people (including me), are using CLI newsreader which can't display
> some whizzbang HTML and alike stuff, plain text is working for usenet
since
> ages and there's no reason to change. > ;)

We seem to be getting off topic, but I don't see the original posters
continuing their thread, and I find this new topic much more interesting.
Should we start a new thread? I don't see any guidelines in the FAQ.

I think Usenet would be much more useful as a communications medium, if it
were not limited to plain text. Any field where you need more than a
one-dimensional flow of information would benefit. For example, doctors
discussing tissue samples, mathematicians discussing equations, engineers
discussing designs, artists discussing their techniques, stock traders
discussing charts, etc.. I remember a few years back working on an
electronic design via telephone and teletype ( yes, those old clunky
machines with 300 baud modems). We used to make our sketches out of ASCII
characters. What a pain.

I looked at Usenet as a possibility for a forum I'm setting up on electronic
design, but decided to go with Delphi Forums instead. So now my audience is
limited to just the people who hear about the forum and know exactly where
to go. http://forums.delphiforums.com/EDAtools The pages don't show up on
a Google search. You have to put up with flashing ads (or pay a small fee
to Delphi ).

Seems like there should be a free, public forum that supports HTML and
graphics, is searchable by Google, and has all the other benefits of Usenet,
without the restrictions.

-- Dave

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [OT] Silly (copyright?) claim by "Galen". (was: Is it safe to use a strangers WiFi cha
    ... >> There's sites which steal, yes steal, the usenet posts and insert ... >> Please note that if you're reading this in a browser and the domain ... > So are you talking about forum software that implements a gateway to ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Terse and unhelpful MVP response
    ... I am using the Office forum Home page to access the relevant application ... could address the issue and got the terse response from Milly MVP. ... generate crappy results and are crippled regarding Usenet features available ... quoted posts to make it impossible to see their hierarchy when they gateway ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: [OT] Silly (copyright?) claim by "Galen". (was: Is it safe to use a strangers WiFi cha
    ... > the posts that are being included on those sites have indeed been taken ... > Just for the record - this isn't what you might term usenet in the normal ... So are you talking about forum software that implements a gateway to Usenet ... to include newsgroups posts in the forum's message list? ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: For crying out loud - its only a Usenet Newsgroup, folks!
    ... it and made it the the David Know It All group. ... No, its not a church, or a meeting house or a fellowship, but Usenet groups are often communities of people who have ... Its something we care about and wish to contunue with as we found some benefit in talking about Quaker issues on a forum that is about the Quaker religion. ... It was an example of what Quakerism - even on an unmoderated forum - could acheive. ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • Re: un écart ?
    ... >Votre post témoigne d'une méconnaissance de Usenet assez abyssale. ... >des Belges, des Suisses et des Canadiens. ... >Et parler autre chose que le français sur un forum fr* c'est comme ...
    (soc.culture.occitan)