Moving /usr stopped wireless network!

From: David Haggett (news-spam_at_haggett.demon.co.uk)
Date: 10/05/03

Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:18:55 +0100

I think this is a linux.misc rather than a linux.networking question. I
use a Belkin USB adaptor with the Atmel WLAN drivers on RH8.

I moved /usr from the root partition (hda4) to a logical partition (hda6).

After editing /etc/fstab, the system rebooted with no errors, but lsmod
showed that usbvnetr wasn't loaded. Modprobe gave an error, but if I
connected the USB adaptor after the system had fully booted, the driver
loaded automatically.

Moving the contents of /usr back to the root partition cured the problem
instantly. As none of the files needed to load the driver are on /usr,
I can't understand why this should happen.

Partition layout:
   hda1 hda3 [hda2 <hda5> <hda6> <free space>] hda4

   hda4 is primary, ext3, labelled / in the RH
   hda6 is logical, reiserfs

/etc/fstab
   LABEL=/ / ext3 noatime 1 1
   LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2