Moving /usr stopped wireless network!

From: David Haggett (news-spam_at_haggett.demon.co.uk)
Date: 10/05/03

Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:18:55 +0100

I think this is a linux.misc rather than a linux.networking question. I
use a Belkin USB adaptor with the Atmel WLAN drivers on RH8.

I moved /usr from the root partition (hda4) to a logical partition (hda6).

After editing /etc/fstab, the system rebooted with no errors, but lsmod
showed that usbvnetr wasn't loaded. Modprobe gave an error, but if I
connected the USB adaptor after the system had fully booted, the driver
loaded automatically.

Moving the contents of /usr back to the root partition cured the problem
instantly. As none of the files needed to load the driver are on /usr,
I can't understand why this should happen.

Partition layout:
   hda1 hda3 [hda2 <hda5> <hda6> <free space>] hda4

   hda4 is primary, ext3, labelled / in the RH
   hda6 is logical, reiserfs

/etc/fstab
   LABEL=/ / ext3 noatime 1 1
   LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
   none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
   none /proc proc defaults 0 0
   none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
   /dev/hdb1 swap swap defaults 0 0
   /dev/hda6 /usr reiserfs notail,rw 0 0

Any ideas?

--
David Haggett
Linux user since 01/01/2003

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WM6.x is freezing
    ... but all I can see is that the driver seems to fail to load. ... But I guess as I haven't connected the USB Adaptor it will unload the ... But when I reboot the device through IPL (with out any external power) ... flashing only wihtout any external power connection. ...
  • Moving /usr stopped wireless network!
    ... use a Belkin USB adaptor with the Atmel WLAN drivers on RH8. ... After editing /etc/fstab, the system rebooted with no errors, but lsmod ... As none of the files needed to load the driver are on /usr, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Netgear MA111
    ... got a Netgear MA111 USB Adaptor this weekend. ... suooprted by their wi driver ... Are there activities in progess to get it into FBSD? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Netgear MA111
    ... got a Netgear MA111 USB Adaptor this weekend. ... suooprted by their wi driver ... Are there activities in progess to get it into FBSD? ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: Lost XP product key - before install.
    ... >>> editing .configure files and then compiling stuff. ... > just to install my graphics card driver. ... You don't edit xf86config until after the driver is installed. ... the config file is easy compared to installing the driver. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)