steve-parkers bourne sh coding tutorial

From: Player (Architect_at_Matrix.com)
Date: 10/08/03

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 02:44:53 +0100

Hi all :)

  At http://steve-parker.org/sh/sh.shtml there is a bourne shell
programming tutorial by the name of, sh-0.7/sh.shtml that is as one
would expect a tutorial for people who want to learn bash shell
programming.

Well I dl'd that tutorial as I am teaching myself linux and though bash
programming along with perl would be very good knowledge to have up-stairs
mingled in with the old grey matter :)

Anyways in the Loops section of that tutorial, there is a section called
While Loops and a rather small scripty showing the use of a while loop,
the source follows below....

#!/bin/sh
INPUT_STRING=hello
while [ "$INPUT_STRING" != "bye" ]
do
  echo "Please type something in (bye to quit)"
  read INPUT_STRING
  echo "You typed: $INPUT_STRING"
done

.....well I created this little script in emacs and wrote the very exact
same code into a script called while.sh.
I did a 'chmod 755 while.sh' so as to make the script active as such, and
expected as most would of, to get a script that would simple loop echo'ing
the txt...

You typed: <what i did type>

...untill I typed 'bye', were then it would halt the loop and the script
would finish and stop.
 Thing is though I did not get what I expected, and I got this error
instead....

./while.sh: line 7: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
./while.sh: line 9: syntax error: unexpected end of file

...so could someone explain to me just whats going on? or were it is going
wrong? lol.
I assure everyone that I have the exact same code as is in the tutorial,
in my script, because thinking I was blind, I deleted what I had typed and
simply copy pasted the source out of the tutorial and into my script,
thinking I was blind and simply couldn't see the mistake.

I have noticed quite a few spelling mistakes and typos within the
tutorial, and as a begginer to linux and shell coding, this is bad as I am
totaly relying on the tutorials info being true to it's word.
I am thinking that there might be an error in the source somewere,
were as a begginer I
wouldn't know about it :)

Anyways can someone please help me out a little, because I very much stuck
lol.
Regards Player

--
***********************************
Hale to the new GODS of Earth.....

Relevant Pages

  • steve parkers bourne sh coding tutorial
    ... programming tutorial by the name of, ... While Loops and a rather small scripty showing the use of a while loop, ... same code into a script called while.sh. ... totaly relying on the tutorials info being true to it's word. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: steve-parkers bourne sh coding tutorial
    ... > Anyways in the Loops section of that tutorial, ... > same code into a script called while.sh. ... > totaly relying on the tutorials info being true to it's word. ... > lol. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: WMI VB script parsing error
    ... ~ Monitor folders and run a script on event ... Send email using script ... WMI tutorials and VB books over the last two days. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • Re: mail
    ... > I'm really new to php. ... I've made a script (with the help of tutorials) that ... > will take infomation from a form and then e-mail it. ...
    (alt.php)
  • Tutorial for programming the Newton?
    ... does anyone know a source of good tutorials for programming the Newton? ... I am looking for more complex application script example than at ...
    (comp.sys.newton.misc)