Re: Free VMware?

From: Andy Baxter (news3_at_earthsong.null.free-online.co.uk)
Date: 10/12/03

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:20:41 +0100

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:01:57 -0700, Chris Carlen wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am unable to bring myself to shell out $299 for a personal license of
> the VMware Workstation product just to be able to run $49 Win98se when
> needed.
>
> I have the Express version which is old and not as smooth running as the
> new versions, as well as not having USB and other goodies.
>
> I have heard there is some free virtual machine software for Linux, but
> haven't been able to locate it.
>
> I have found plex86, but it only allows Linux guests. I need to run
> Windows under Linux with as close to the smoothness of real VMware as
> possible.
>
> Any hope?
>

> Thanks for input.
>
> Good day!

I've just been looking at bochs (bochs.sourceforge.net) It's a software
emulator for 386-compatibles, which runs on various platforms. It does
seem to work OK, and not too hard to set up, but it's terribly slow as far
as I can see so far, just from running the win98 setup program.

They say on their web page that they're working on moving some of the
emulation to the native processor for the i386 platform, which is what
vmware does. This would make it faster, but it's not ready yet.

andy.

--
remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: watering system, second attempt.
    ... >> i'm using gschem for linux, which is part of the gEDA suite. ... html mail or attachments will go in the spam ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Free VMware?
    ... but it only allows Linux guests. ... > andy. ... html mail or attachments will go in the spam ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: image viewing program? (With thumnail gallery)
    ... Alex Hunsley wrote: ... > image viewing program for linux, something along the lines of paint shop ... html mail or attachments will go in the spam ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Perl DBI
    ... When you boot up into Linux, ... > by Windows aren't there. ... html mail or attachments will go in the spam ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Standard Forth versus Python: a case study
    ... It can connect to DLL's or Linux or OS X libraries so anything missing I can find a library and hook into it. ... Now it looks like PureBasic has joined the ranks of BASIC versions that runs on several platforms. ... I'm a fan of FreeBSD it runs well and no fuss secure OS, right now I'm using Ubuntu and I'm happy with it, I only have a couple of applications that need Windows for it and I use VMware to run a virtual copy of XP, that works out quite well, I have several PC's and only one boots to windows only because there is no hurry to knock it out. ... Both Pygmy and Holon are quite old but they work well for what they do, simple systems and they are very reliable, but they have their limits because of being so old. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)