Re: Free VMware?

From: Andy Baxter (news3_at_earthsong.null.free-online.co.uk)
Date: 10/12/03

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:20:41 +0100

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:01:57 -0700, Chris Carlen wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am unable to bring myself to shell out $299 for a personal license of
> the VMware Workstation product just to be able to run $49 Win98se when
> needed.
>
> I have the Express version which is old and not as smooth running as the
> new versions, as well as not having USB and other goodies.
>
> I have heard there is some free virtual machine software for Linux, but
> haven't been able to locate it.
>
> I have found plex86, but it only allows Linux guests. I need to run
> Windows under Linux with as close to the smoothness of real VMware as
> possible.
>
> Any hope?
>

> Thanks for input.
>
> Good day!

I've just been looking at bochs (bochs.sourceforge.net) It's a software
emulator for 386-compatibles, which runs on various platforms. It does
seem to work OK, and not too hard to set up, but it's terribly slow as far
as I can see so far, just from running the win98 setup program.

They say on their web page that they're working on moving some of the
emulation to the native processor for the i386 platform, which is what
vmware does. This would make it faster, but it's not ready yet.

andy.

--
remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.