Mandrake not being nice

From: Kostatus (to.get.my.email_at_see.bottom.of.my.post)
Date: 10/13/03

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 05:31:59 +0000 (UTC)

I've just installed my first ever distribution of Linux, Mandrake Linux
9.1, on half of a spare hard drive (30GB partition / 60GB total). And now
I'm experiencing quite a few problems, maybe I'll be able to fix some
myself so I'll only outline a few of them:

1) It calls my modem a "winmodem" and tells me that it doesn't like it!
Does this mean that I have to get a special modem just for linux!?!?!?!? I
tried setting it up as a "normal modem" but it told me that it could not
read the file: "/etx/resolv.conf"
2) My scanner is not on the list of scanners!!! And when I pick a scanner
of the same brand and a somewhat-similar name it tells me that it's not
compatible.
3) The highest refresh rate that I can choose is 75Hz which filckers
annoyingly (my WinXP does 85Hz and that works perfectly)
4) It won't play music from a music CD!
5) I tried solving some of these problems myself by clicking on
"Documentation" somewhere in Mandrake but it told me that it can't find the
help files.

In the case that after the end of the week I'm still willing to let
Mandrake have any physical presence on my hard drive (which currently seems
unlikely at the way it hates my computer) can anyone recomend me a newbie
guide to linux or something?

Thanks

--
Kostatus
kostatus001 at ihug co nz

Relevant Pages

  • Re: modem and SATA hard drive
    ... > the new hard drive during the install boot. ... But Mandrake is not perfect and it will ... > not allow me to use my new hardware modem from USR, ... > which says on the box that it is compatible with Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • modem and SATA hard drive
    ... Linux do not and in fact they usually hang when they attempt to setup ... But Mandrake is not perfect and it will ... not allow me to use my new hardware modem from USR, ... SUSE 9.0or Red Hat/Pink Tie to work with my SATA drive. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: OsX compared to Linux and BeOS
    ... Sounds like you used Linux in the 199x's and have not ... How do I tell Mandrake that I have a modem? ... What really seem strange to me is it is not implied ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Uninstalling Suse Linux Pro 9
    ... I am sorry not to be able to use Linux. ... > their support was very bad. ... > was not being able to install a driver for my modem (ADSL USB external ... Mandrake is a FRENCH distribution and there IS ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [Full-Disclosure] A real-life story (no analogies) Was: Anti-MS drivel
    ... with comparing linux and windows I found out I have something that I ... Scenario now forks in two branches: one for giving up old scanner ... Going for the flash card reader. ... Connecting it to my USB hub. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)