Re: Crash of linux on RedHat and Knoppix

From: Teonardo (teonardodavinci_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/29/03

Date: 28 Nov 2003 16:10:46 -0800

Thanks to all of you for such prompt and nice responses. Some of
you've asked me questions to know more details on problem. Here I'm
trying to answer most of them....

Yes, I tried Ctrl+Alt+F[1-9] and tried to go single-user-mode
(virtual-terminal-mode) but had no success in getting there.

I agree with most of you on speculating some kind of hardware problem.
The only unusual thing I did was adding a 200GB hard drive. Now, for
this one, I had to add a PCI card which has another bios to support
large hard drives. I couldn't get that big hard drive to detect under
linux anyway. So, at present, I can only see it when I boot in
Windows. This whole upgrade in hardware may have caused such crashes
since mounting drive is one of the thing any distro does during
boot-up, I guess!.

I guess I missed to see if /var is full or not. I didn't know about
this concept before, I'll check it when it will happen again.

For the time being, I reinstalled my linux and trying out Fedora
Core's latest release. It seems to go smoothly so far (still not able
to see my 200GB HDD). It this one also crashes for similar reason,
I'll analyze logs and will try out unplugging most of extra hardwares.

Cheers :)
Teonardo

Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote in message news:<3747f$3fc5f91a$d0c7e1fd$2333@nf2.news-service.com>...
> teonardodavinci@yahoo.com (Teonardo),
> In a message on 26 Nov 2003 22:05:05 -0800, wrote :
>
> T> Hello,
> T>
> T> I'm experiencing a strange problem since last few days. My linux is
> T> crashing totally very soon after the boot-up. The keyboard and mouse
> T> controls freez soon after x-windows starts. I tried totally
> T> reinstalling the system and it still happens. I've tried two flavors
> T> of linux - redhat 9.0 and knoppix 3.3. For both flavors, everytime
> T> this happens, my keyboard's CapsLock and ScrollLock lights starts
> T> flashing. I've also tried Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace to restart x-windows but
> T> it doesn't work.
> T>
> T> It was working well since long time. Being an intermediate linux user,
> T> I'm not able to find out what's going on. Any help will be
> T> appreciated.
>
> Some questions:
>
> Have you changed any of the hardware (added 'new' memory, changed the
> video card, etc.)?
>
> What happens when you boot up in single user mode?
>
> If you can boot up in single user mode, can you change the default
> runlevel from 5 to 3 (edit /etc/inittab and find the section that looks
> like this:
>
> # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
> # 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
> # 1 - Single user mode
> # 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
> # 3 - Full multiuser mode
> # 4 - unused
> # 5 - X11
> # 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
> #
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> RH 9 *defaults* to 5 for a 'workstation' (and probably 'Personal
> Desktop') install, change it to 3, as above.
>
> Does the system behave any better?
>
> If so, have a look at /var/log/messages and see if there is anything
> there that is suggestive of hardware problems.
>
> It *sounds* like you might have failing hardware. Another possibility is
> that you have run out of disk space on your /var file system (or
> whatever file system /var is on). Not having any free disk space will
> cause the X11 startup to fail and then re-cycle endlessly, which will
> appear like a sort of crash.
>

> T> Thanks a lot,
> T> Teonardo
> T>
>
> \/
> Robert Heller ||InterNet: heller@cs.umass.edu
> http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || heller@deepsoft.com
> http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Where the F**K do I begin?
    ... gig harddrive to install it on, and by swapping hard drives, I can put ... you can purchase Xandros Linux at most Office Depot stores! ... I pick up free curbside donation systems, and install a GNU/Linux Distro ... I dont care about dual booting. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Starting with Linux
    ... My experience level with SUSE Linux is about zip but the min requirements ... setting the DMA does not work. ... hard drives - including some older SCSI drives I plan to test. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: No space left on device
    ... > I'm a VERY new linux user trying to administer an existing linux box to ... The distribution comes with many packages which duplicate each ... and only support hard drives up to 8Gig (try ... you want, and install it). ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: No space left on device
    ... > I'm a VERY new linux user trying to administer an existing linux box to ... The distribution comes with many packages which duplicate each ... and only support hard drives up to 8Gig (try ... you want, and install it). ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Newbie questions
    ... > I highly recommend MEPIS Linux for new Linux users who want to run Linux ... this here is an example of what is so nice about MEPIS. ... all of your internal hard drives show up in two easily accessible ... Even when I go in and mount the drive to a directory, ...
    (alt.linux)