Re: Crash of linux on RedHat and Knoppix

From: Teonardo (teonardodavinci_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/29/03

Date: 28 Nov 2003 16:10:46 -0800

Thanks to all of you for such prompt and nice responses. Some of
you've asked me questions to know more details on problem. Here I'm
trying to answer most of them....

Yes, I tried Ctrl+Alt+F[1-9] and tried to go single-user-mode
(virtual-terminal-mode) but had no success in getting there.

I agree with most of you on speculating some kind of hardware problem.
The only unusual thing I did was adding a 200GB hard drive. Now, for
this one, I had to add a PCI card which has another bios to support
large hard drives. I couldn't get that big hard drive to detect under
linux anyway. So, at present, I can only see it when I boot in
Windows. This whole upgrade in hardware may have caused such crashes
since mounting drive is one of the thing any distro does during
boot-up, I guess!.

I guess I missed to see if /var is full or not. I didn't know about
this concept before, I'll check it when it will happen again.

For the time being, I reinstalled my linux and trying out Fedora
Core's latest release. It seems to go smoothly so far (still not able
to see my 200GB HDD). It this one also crashes for similar reason,
I'll analyze logs and will try out unplugging most of extra hardwares.

Cheers :)
Teonardo