Re: glibc back compatibility

From: J.O. Aho (user_at_example.net)
Date: 12/08/03

Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:30:43 +0100

Rui Pimenta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run some Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tools on mandrake
> 9.2 but most of these tools say that they can only run on RedHat 7.3.
>
> Is it possible to make the program "think" that it is running in a RedHat
> 7.3 system. Probably the problem would be on the glibc compatibility.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of how to sort this out? Because it wouldn't like
> to have to move to RedHat 7.3.

You will need a gcc2.96 compat libraries installed, as all the RedHat 7.x
stuff is compiled with the GCC2.96 and will not run under a GCC3.x environment.

Glibc is backwards compatible with earlier versions (there are a few 2.2.x
versions that had some backward issues).

  //Aho

Relevant Pages

  • Re: glibc back compatibility
    ... > I'm trying to run some Electronic Design Automation tools on mandrake ... Probably the problem would be on the glibc compatibility. ... You will need a gcc2.96 compat libraries installed, as all the RedHat 7.x ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: glibc back compatibility
    ... > I'm trying to run some Electronic Design Automation tools on mandrake ... Probably the problem would be on the glibc compatibility. ... You will need a gcc2.96 compat libraries installed, as all the RedHat 7.x ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: FC5 breaks Accelrys InsightII
    ... maintain compatibility with RHEL 2.1. ... that while Redhat appears to have ceased selling 2.1 only last ... year support will continue until 2010, ... to keep supporting RHEL 2.1 for at least a couple more years. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Using centos updates for RHEL (project spacewalk)
    ... updates issued from CentOS directly onto my RHEL machines. ... There are some compatibility issues: all packages that have redhat in ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Mandrake on Thinkpad T40
    ... I am thinking of buying an IBM Thinkpad T40 machine and am wondering ... about it's compatibility with mandrake 9.1, in dual-boot with XP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)