Device Drivers and Files

From: Caj Zell (cajzell_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 12/09/03

Date: 9 Dec 2003 05:12:45 -0800

Hello!

I have tried to look up the following, but haven't found what I am
looking for.

I often find myself trying to get some piece of device to work and
wonder which file it is connected to. What I am looking for is an
application that could give an output where all devices are listed,
which "/dev/"-file they are related and which driver that is
associated with them. Something like

Soundcard /dev/dsp es1370

or something similar. I do lsdev, dmesg, lspci, etc., but cannot
extract the information I am looking for.

Related note: I now have a Vaio pcg-grt896hp where the computer
freezes whenever I do something with the sound. wavplay for instance
completely freezes my RH9 system and I cannot even switch terminals
with Ctrl-Alt-F6. How can I debug this?

Caj Zell

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WMP10
    ... video and freezes, after a few minutes it does this all over again. ... sound only when it starts up again. ... > Real Player won't play AVI files either, and this only began with the addition ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Intermittent beeps and mouse freezes -- is CPU dying ??
    ... freezes for 5-10 seconds and then everything is OK again. ... Windows XP ping sound-- at first I thought it was the sound of pop-ups ... This is in Windows XP Home on an eMachines w/ AMD CPU 512 MB of memory. ... other times missing altogether. ...
  • Re: RELENG_7 jerky mouse and skipping sound
    ... I seems to happen when I'm compiling ports and a new ... It's just not mouse and sound, everything freezes up ... Which suggested solution did you follow. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: System Freezes up
    ... Mysti wrote: ... since I installed this new hard drive my system just freezes for no ... reason. ... If I have the sound on I can hear a click and then the ...