Re: Linux Mandrake 9.2 kernel headers - where?

From: John Winters (newstmp_at_sinodun.org.uk)
Date: 12/12/03

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:05:54 +0000 (UTC)

In article <pan.2003.12.12.08.17.03.161569@goddamn.co.uk>,
Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> wrote:
>Matthew Garrett wrote:

>>> [tai@ophelia (pts/2) ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/include/linux/kernel.h
>>> glibc-devel-2.3.2-14mdk
>>
>> That's not a kernel header in the sense of a header that kernel code can
>> be compiled against.
>
>Well, which one is meant then? /boot/kernel.h.

No, the kernel header files. The header files you need to compile things
which interact closely with the kernel. E.g. a new module or Vmware or
something like that. A classic example would be modversions.h (and no,
the one in /usr/include/linux won't do).

I've now spent some time playing with it and this area of Mandrake 9.2
simply seems to be FUBARed. You can't compile things for it unless you
first build your own custom kernel. If anyone can prove me wrong, I'd be
very glad to hear from them.

John

--
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England
We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: updating /sys/sys
    ... Every RELEASE must compile. ... It is a different story for a custom build kernel. ... installed, but /usr/src/sys is part of the base install. ... the header files are installed. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: updating /sys/sys
    ... "kernel", then it would not explain it. ... You need the header files - which are included there - to compile any ... install to itself, I could have changed the StrictComponents flag and rerun it, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [2.6.5] A bunch of various minor bugs not fixed since 2.6.4
    ... > kernel header files experience this problem. ... > This is only a problem for people trying to build userspace programs ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Kernel headers
    ... Kernel headers are the collection of header files for the kernel. ... In order for program2 to compile it ... If you are going to compile on the system, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: compiling (or rather, failing to compile) a kernel
    ... I would suggest that people who compile new kernels should: ... Leave whatever kernel (probably only the ... header files) that the distribution came with there, ... compile the kernel in their own home directory, ...
    (Debian-User)