Re: Linux Mandrake 9.2 kernel headers - where?

From: John Winters (newstmp_at_sinodun.org.uk)
Date: 12/12/03

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:05:54 +0000 (UTC)

In article <pan.2003.12.12.08.17.03.161569@goddamn.co.uk>,
Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> wrote:
>Matthew Garrett wrote:

>>> [tai@ophelia (pts/2) ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/include/linux/kernel.h
>>> glibc-devel-2.3.2-14mdk
>>
>> That's not a kernel header in the sense of a header that kernel code can
>> be compiled against.
>
>Well, which one is meant then? /boot/kernel.h.

No, the kernel header files. The header files you need to compile things
which interact closely with the kernel. E.g. a new module or Vmware or
something like that. A classic example would be modversions.h (and no,
the one in /usr/include/linux won't do).

I've now spent some time playing with it and this area of Mandrake 9.2
simply seems to be FUBARed. You can't compile things for it unless you
first build your own custom kernel. If anyone can prove me wrong, I'd be
very glad to hear from them.

John

--
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England
We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.