Chinese input question

From: Neil Zanella (nzanella_at_cs.mun.ca)
Date: 12/30/03

Date: 29 Dec 2003 19:09:41 -0800

Hello,

I am running Fedora Core 1 Linux with XFree86 4.3.0, vim 6.2, xcin 2.5.3, and all
locales installed. I would like to enter some chinese characters at the keyboard,
perhaps by either entering their Pinyin equivalents or using other popular input
methods available on my system. I ended up starting the xcin server as follows:

$ export LANG=zh_CN.GB2312 && xcin
XCIN (Chinese XIM server) version 2.5.3-pre2.
(module ver: 20010918, syscin ver: 20000210).
(use "-h" option for help)

xcin: locale "zh_CN.GB2312" encoding "gb2312"
xcin: XIM server "xcin-zh_CN.GB2312" transport "X/"
xcin: inp_styles: Root OverTheSpot

However I am kind of stuck as I do not know where to go from here. In particular
I would like to enter chinese characters in an xterm, or in vim. Is this
possible? How can I accomplish this task?

Thanks,

Neil