Re: Tailing a directory listing

From: Tony Curtis (tony_curtis32_at__SPAMTRAP_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/14/04

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:01:01 -0600

>> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:52:31 +0000,
>> David Dorward <dorward@yahoo.com> said:

> Thomas R. Burkholder wrote:
>> If this is a FAQ I apologize. I would like to tail the
>> contents of a directory to follow the output of a program.
>> Is there a way to pipe the output of ls into tail?

> ls | tail

"Be careful what you wish for"

While David's answer is perfectly correct, I don't think it is
quite what the OP is looking for. Thomas, please give us a
small self-contained and functional example of a sample
directory and what you want to do with the files in there.

hth

  • Re: c.u.s. FAQ, take two
    ... > in C or Perl and not be bothering to check the FAQ to pull it off. ... opposed to ready-made solutions and get interested enough to figure it ... Also, as noted it offers more functionality, being usable in a pipe. ... just like tail -$X would. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: perl like tail -f
    ... Is there a reason why I should use that ... module as apposed to the kind of code offered in the faq about tail? ... the same amount of code; the advantage is that it's a bit more readable. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • [Patch] sysctl: forbid too long numbers
    ... char *tail; ... More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html ... Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/ ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: OT: free usenet server that works well with comp.lang.javascript?
    ... newsgroup - the tail of the full FAQ, and the signatures of the daily ... ISTM that you could probably take one copy of the full FAQ onto your ... to feed your valued posting system. ... I believe it would be better to stimulate a new FAQ maintainer than to ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Tailing a directory listing
    ... If this is a FAQ I apologize. ... the output of ls into tail? ... Thanks, Tom ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)