why some people call emacs operating system?

From: Xiaoshen Li (xli6_at_gmu.edu)
Date: 01/21/04

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:39:52 +0000

Hi,

I have read several postings. Some people say that Emacs is a great
operating system. I don't understand it. I thought Emacs is a text
editor, like vi, and operating systems are W2K, WXP, Linux, Mac etc.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Xiaoshen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Process of Learning
    ... > Organization: home user ... >> operating system and not knowing how to program. ... Within this menu is Emacs and more ... >> Emacs seems to be an archaic text editor designed for systems predating ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... Pretty much anyone who is proficient with emacs will be, ... Not all get shot by the government at all, ... it's more of a shell than an editor OR an operating system. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: why some people call emacs operating system?
    ... > I have read several postings. ... Some people say that Emacs is a great ... It isn't an "operating system". ... And it ceased to be a mere editor long ago. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: why some people call emacs operating system?
    ... Some people say that Emacs is a great ... > You are correct in your belief when you say that Emacs is a text editor. ... > Emacs is DEFINTELY NOT an operating system. ... I do a lot of my work in a shell, but I don't like the emacs shell ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: why some people call emacs operating system?
    ... >> I have read several postings. ... Some people say that Emacs is a great ... >> operating system. ... You can eat, drink, and take a shower in emacs, and hardly ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)