Re: using putty on windows 2000 to connect to my linux box

From: Anthony Campbell (me_at_privacy.net)
Date: 02/23/04

Date: 23 Feb 2004 08:48:07 GMT

On 2004-02-22, Martin Blume <mblume@socha.net> wrote:
> "Anthony Campbell" <me@privacy.net> schrieb
>>
>> I'm trying to do the same with two linux machines but I cannot
>> persuade them to ping each other, let alone get ssh running. I
>> have checked /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow as far as I can and
>> they seem to be OK.
>> No idea where to look next.
> IMHO /etc/hosts.* has nothing to do with being able to ping
> 192.168.0.x
>

>> The two machines are a laptop (192.168.0.21 and a desktop
>> 192.168.0.20. The laptop communicates to the router via a
>> wireless link, and both machines can connect to the internet
>> without difficulty.
>
> I'm not sure you can have have both machines in the same network.
> Your laptop tries to access 192.168.0.20 directly on the
> wireless network. How is it to know that the WLAN acess link has
> to take the packet and transmit it on a wire link?
> IMHO you have to define two subnets and tell your laptop that
> the access-point is the default route.
> Perhaps you should consult your access point's manual.
>
> HTH. YMMV.
> Martin

Oddly enough, I can now ping from the laptop to the desktop though not
the other way round; not sure how this has happened. But ssh does not
work in either direction.

I'd thought that setting up ssh was fairly trivial, but it does not seem
to be.

AC

--
Using Linux GNU/Debian - Windows-free zone
http://www.acampbell.org.uk (book reviews and articles)