Re: Goodbye Linux

From: Robert Heller (heller_at_deepsoft.com)
Date: 03/14/04

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:59:54 +0000

  Nai Namae <shimbun@gmx.de>,
  In a message on Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:03:05 +0100, wrote :

NN> Alan Browne wrote:
NN>
NN> >
NN> > After one week of Linux, I have decided, with some regret, to return to
NN> > WinXP full time. I know that's heresy around these parts...
NN> welcome to the club :/
NN>
NN> i am also missing something as powerfull as photoshop in linux... it would
NN> be a great idea, if adobe could port photoshop to linux, as corel did with
NN> photopaint 9, some years ago :)
NN>
NN> i am really missing PS, because i often have to use it, just because i am
NN> also photographing a lot!
NN>
NN> but anyway! i am staying with my sweet 'lil gentoo-box :) i love gentoo, so
NN> i will never leave it.
NN>
NN> although i have to admit, that just because of photoshop i have to keep a
NN> parallel windows installation on another partition. but because it's very
NN> annoying to reboot just in order to use photoshop, and then for normal work
NN> to reboot again into gentoo... i am thinking about using vmware instead, so
NN> i can boot windows within gentoo and use photoshop whenever i want without
NN> the need of rebooting!
NN>
NN> that's the next step i will do, i can will just habe a windows-installation
NN> just with photoshop. there is no other program i need which only runs in
NN> windows.
NN>
NN> maybe someone could now say: use GIMP. ok, gimp is a nice & maybe powerful
NN> tool, and it would be even more powerful if knew it as good as i know
NN> photoshop. but even then, it cannot compare with photoshop, although i have
NN> often read, that gimp CAN compare with it :/

Adobe is not likely to port PhotoShop to Linux anytime soon. GIMP is
pretty close to PhotoShop. It certainly does *everything* I've every
needed to do. *Maybe* what you should do is work with the GIMP
development team and let them know *exactly* what is missing from GIMP
that PhotoShop does. Maybe even (*gasp*) contribute a *small* amount
of actual money to the GIMP development team. After all if you are
willing to shell out something like US$500.00 for Adobe PhotoShop
(assuming you actually purchased a legal copy), contributing only a
1/10 that (US$50.00) is a really small price to pay for an open source
alternative.

I'm guessing *most* of the problems PhotoShop users have with GIMP is
some user-interface issues and possibly with some documentation issues.

I *believe* that some PhotoShop plugins (pure 'script' ones) will run
under GIMP, although I have not actually tried this. It might also be
possible to 'port' (or re-implement) some of the popular PhotoShop
plugins to work with GIMP.

It is important to let the GIMP development team *know* about this.
'Silently' reverting back to PhotoShop is not going to improve GIMP to
*your* liking. I believe there are GIMP mailing lists. Visit
www.gimp.org and do some 'surfing'.

NN> just think about installing vmware workstation and inside of it windows &
NN> photoshop. if it's just because of this one program you need to switch
NN> back...
NN>
NN> i am so convinced by linux/gentoo, that i would never leave it if it's not
NN> really really necessary! so, if it's really the only thing you miss about
NN> linux, don't switch, just run vmware ;)
NN>
NN> but if there are a lot more aspects in linux you dislike/miss, then switch
NN> :(
NN>
NN> greats,
NN>
NN> namae ga nai hito :)
NN>
NN>
NN> >
NN> > I tried Linux under the assumption that some specific image editing s/w
NN> > would be free, and functionally as powerful as Photoshop 7 which I need
NN> > as my scanner produces 16-bits/color channel. (PS Elements works at 8
NN> > bit per color channel).
NN> >
NN> > However, after trying fruitlessly to get my film scanner to talk to the
NN> > computer via firewire for several days; resulting in two re-installs of
NN> > Mandrake as I apparently did something naughty to the OS... I have
NN> > decided that the time lost is not worth it. The OS does recognize the
NN> > firewire interface, but getting some function sbp2 (sp?) to install was
NN> > not possible... and please don't waste keystrokes with help.
NN> >
NN> > The whole Linux OS 'lingo' is completely new to me; very rich and
NN> > extensive, often arcane. Learning to do even simple tasks is very time
NN> > consuming.
NN> >
NN> > Photoviewing programs crashed when I loaded large slideshows, w/o any
NN> > warning or message. They just disappeared. As a photographer I produce
NN> > and scan large numbers of photos, and I often look at large collections
NN> > as slide shows. There can be several thousand images in a single slide
NN> > show, and the provided programs were simply not up to it.
NN> >
NN> > KDE is slow. File browsing is slow. Programs crash under Linux in a
NN> > heartbeat. Linux crashed (heresy?). Working in WinXP might not be
NN> > popular, I'm certainly no fan of MS, but the point is, WinXP does work.
NN> >
NN> > Now I'm sure if I became more of an expert, requiring the time to do so,
NN> > I could come to terms with it. Point is I don't have the time to spend
NN> > on the learning, and if I did, the ROI is not apparent to me at this time.
NN> >
NN> > WinXP, which I've had since Sept. has been stable and very easy to
NN> > maintain. No matter how hard I try to hate MS (and it isn't very hard),
NN> > the point is I am productive under WinXP and reaching that degree of
NN> > productivity under Linux will simply take too long.
NN> >
NN> > I'll look into it in another 5 years.
NN> >
NN> > Cheers,
NN> > Alan.

                                     \/
Robert Heller ||InterNet: heller@cs.umass.edu
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || heller@deepsoft.com
http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Printer (and laptop) preferences?
    ... You also might consider the cost of ink. ... I just keep the Windows systems on my LAN, ... The Linux system is plugged into an additional router to ... Get a Windows system, buy Photoshop, learn it. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Printer (and laptop) preferences?
    ... I just keep the Windows systems on my LAN, ... Get a Windows system, buy Photoshop, learn it. ... and I've no idea how the Linux drivers work with the Canon printers. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Should I go Mac or PC?. Neither!!
    ... You Linux boosters ... grown, not just the OS, but the applications too. ... windows machines, but you'll find major improvements too - sometimes ... You mention Gimp, my main graphics program, a major advantage of Linux, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Brainless Debian Stable installation and usage?
    ... Windows versions so they can all switch before switching to Linux? ... If people are using something from Adobe instead of GIMP, ... Did the friends use FLOSS software with their XP installs? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Where now?
    ... I've tried GIMP, and it is totally dreadful. ... I've run Linux as my primary OS for 15 years now, ... I run Paint Shop Pro under Windows 2000 using VMWare whenever I need any ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.hardware)