Re: Goodbye Linux

From: Robert Heller (heller_at_deepsoft.com)
Date: 03/14/04

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:59:54 +0000

  Nai Namae <shimbun@gmx.de>,
  In a message on Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:03:05 +0100, wrote :

NN> Alan Browne wrote:
NN>
NN> >
NN> > After one week of Linux, I have decided, with some regret, to return to
NN> > WinXP full time. I know that's heresy around these parts...
NN> welcome to the club :/
NN>
NN> i am also missing something as powerfull as photoshop in linux... it would
NN> be a great idea, if adobe could port photoshop to linux, as corel did with
NN> photopaint 9, some years ago :)
NN>
NN> i am really missing PS, because i often have to use it, just because i am
NN> also photographing a lot!
NN>
NN> but anyway! i am staying with my sweet 'lil gentoo-box :) i love gentoo, so
NN> i will never leave it.
NN>
NN> although i have to admit, that just because of photoshop i have to keep a
NN> parallel windows installation on another partition. but because it's very
NN> annoying to reboot just in order to use photoshop, and then for normal work
NN> to reboot again into gentoo... i am thinking about using vmware instead, so
NN> i can boot windows within gentoo and use photoshop whenever i want without
NN> the need of rebooting!
NN>
NN> that's the next step i will do, i can will just habe a windows-installation
NN> just with photoshop. there is no other program i need which only runs in
NN> windows.
NN>
NN> maybe someone could now say: use GIMP. ok, gimp is a nice & maybe powerful
NN> tool, and it would be even more powerful if knew it as good as i know
NN> photoshop. but even then, it cannot compare with photoshop, although i have
NN> often read, that gimp CAN compare with it :/

Adobe is not likely to port PhotoShop to Linux anytime soon. GIMP is
pretty close to PhotoShop. It certainly does *everything* I've every
needed to do. *Maybe* what you should do is work with the GIMP
development team and let them know *exactly* what is missing from GIMP
that PhotoShop does. Maybe even (*gasp*) contribute a *small* amount
of actual money to the GIMP development team. After all if you are
willing to shell out something like US$500.00 for Adobe PhotoShop
(assuming you actually purchased a legal copy), contributing only a
1/10 that (US$50.00) is a really small price to pay for an open source
alternative.

I'm guessing *most* of the problems PhotoShop users have with GIMP is
some user-interface issues and possibly with some documentation issues.

I *believe* that some PhotoShop plugins (pure 'script' ones) will run
under GIMP, although I have not actually tried this. It might also be
possible to 'port' (or re-implement) some of the popular PhotoShop
plugins to work with GIMP.

It is important to let the GIMP development team *know* about this.
'Silently' reverting back to PhotoShop is not going to improve GIMP to
*your* liking. I believe there are GIMP mailing lists. Visit
www.gimp.org and do some 'surfing'.

                                     \/
Robert Heller ||InterNet: heller@cs.umass.edu
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || heller@deepsoft.com