Re: compiling 2.6

From: P.T. Breuer (ptb_at_oboe.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 03/18/04

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:31:49 +0100

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> William D. Tallman wrote:
> > I've gathered that compiling all the functionality into the kernel only
> > make sense for servers, where the function of the machine itself is well
>
> P.T. Breuer wrote:
> > It doesn't make sense there, since you can configure by loading modules
> > just as well as you can configure by linking at compile time instead!
>
> Running a monolithic kernel and disabling loading of modules blocks some
> attacks.

Yes, but only the ones that don't edit /proc/kcore directly :-). It
appears much more fashionable nowadays (adore ...).

Neat trick that. Wish I knew how to do it!

Peter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: compiling 2.6
    ... >> I've gathered that compiling all the functionality into the kernel only ... Registered Linux User: #221586 ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: compiling 2.6
    ... > I've gathered that compiling all the functionality into the kernel only ... > It doesn't make sense there, since you can configure by loading modules ... Running a monolithic kernel and disabling loading of modules blocks some ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: compiling 2.6
    ... Maybe you mean "there is functionality which only becomes ... there are a lot of kernel options! ... > past (you try compiling SMP support as a module!). ... Acpi seems to be relevant only for laptops. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: System.map question
    ... > I always wonder what exactly the purpose of the System.map file is. ... > compiling a new kernel this file is obviously created. ... when loading modules. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Post-halloween doc updates.
    ... This document explains some of the new functionality to be found in the 2.6 ... Linux kernel, some pitfalls you may encounter, and also points out some new ... Note, that this document is somewhat x86-centric, but most features ... The advanced linux sound architecture got merged into 2.6. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)