linux partition compression?

From: Gaikokujin Kyofusho (
Date: 03/31/04

Date: 31 Mar 2004 08:19:46 -0800

Hi, does linux support partition compression? or are there any
programs or filesystems that would enable such support? I realize
that harddrives are cheap but in situations like eMule when it starts
to download a file it sets aside a chuck of space (empty hull of a
file that it "fills up" <or thats how i understand it>). The problem
is the hard drive things that 200GB are being taken up when really it
is more like 30GB. Right now i use eMule with XP/NTFS since it
supports compression but this would *not* be my first choice. Any
help, pointers, ideas, etc would be greatly apprecated!