Re: Emergency situation. Need help!

From: Paul Black (nospam_at_nospam.saturnine.org.uk)
Date: 05/23/04

    Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 07:14:07 +0100

    Svilen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am novice in Linux.
    > I don't know what I did with my Linux RH 8.0 but here is what happens
    > when I boot up the system. Please, let me know what I should do in
    > this situation. I'm new to this and if you care to answer please
    > explain as you're talking to someone who doesn't know much of Linux.
    >
    > EXT3-fs error (device ide3(34,4)):ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read
    > inode block - inode=3457096, block=6914056
    >
    > And then further down I get:
    >
    > Checking root filesystem
    > /contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    > Error reading block 1441798 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
    > resulted in short read)
    > while doing inode scan.
    >
    > /:UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY. (i.e. without -a or -p
    > options)
    >

    > So, obviously I should run fsck, but I don't know with what
    > parameters.

    fsck <disk>

    /etc/fstab should tell you what your root disk is. From the error you
    posted, it looks like it might be /dev/hdg4 - would that be right?

    If it is, then run fsck /dev/hdg4

    Paul

    • Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 3 of 6)
      ... under the 1024 logical cylinder limit, and boot from that. ... Undelete functionality for the ext2fs file system ... How To Resize a Partition. ... Use the FIPS.EXE program, included with most Linux distributions,under ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)