Re: Problems with dual boot XP and Fedora Core 2

From: William D. Waddington (william.waddington_at_beezmo.com)
Date: 07/23/04

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:33:25 -0700

On 22 Jul 2004 16:28:35 -0700, roger.edna@ozemail.com.au (Roger Kauffman) wrote:

>Eric Moors <scare.crow@oz.land> wrote in message news:<cdl3qr$cmc$1@voyager.news.surf.net>...
>> Roger Kauffman wrote:
>>
>> > I have just installed Fedora Core 2 on my PC which already had Windows
>> > XP Home Edition installed. My intention was to use GRUB and to dual
>> > boot the system (This was working OK with Redhat 8 previously)
>> >
>> > After installation Fedora worked perfectly but when I attempted to
>> > boot XP I was presented with a screen that showed the command from
>> > GRUB and random characters scattered over the screen in various
>> > colours and some of them flashing. The system was locked and had to
>> > be reset with the power switch.
>> >
>> > The system I have is a bitza but in essence it has the following;
>> >
>> > GE Force Titan Mainboard with a 2GHz Pentium 4;
>> > 512 MB of RAM
>> > 60 GB Hdd partitioned with Partition Magic into two halves XP and
>> > Linux
>> >
>> > My investigations to date suggest that the Linux install may have
>> > clobbered the Master Boot Record for XP.
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest what my problem is and what may be my solution?
>> >

>> see:
>>
>> http://www.fedorazine.com/content/view/191/
>>
>> Where the following solution is proposed:
>>
>> sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk --no-reread -H255 /dev/hda
>>
>> But please, read the entire document first.
>>
>> Eric
>

>Eric,
>
>Thankyou for your help. I took your advice and problem is solved.
>Interstingly I had to use the --force parameter as sfdisk was unhappy
>with the proposed change and refused to co-operate. My system is now
>operating as I wished.
>
>Roger.

Thanks to Eric for posting the link. I have had similar problems with
RedHat 8 and 9, but my posts produced no response. In my case, win2k
committed suicide on reboot. Had to reinstall everything :( W/RH 9
I was prepared, and used System Commander to hand edit and restore the
partition (CHS) info I had previously saved. Just installed FC2. I
guess I better go check on the damage...

Bill

William D Waddington
Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
william.waddington@beezmo.com