Re: every 10 mins go black idle screen

From: Robert M. Riches Jr. (spamtrap42_at_verizon.net)
Date: 07/27/04

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:04:53 GMT

On 2004-07-27, PHP2 <gp@nospm.hr> wrote:
> I am create small program with C++ that work without KDE only with X11 on my
> RH9... but have problem now: every 10 mins go black idle screen, X11 create
> black idle screen (sure I am off all from power management in biosa)
>
> any fast advice?

I'd guess it's most likely DPMS that's causing the problem.
There are options you can put in your XConfig file, but my
experience is they were not effective for the cases I tried
them.

For runlevel 3, text login, I have had success doing "startx
-- -dpms" rather than just "startx". The double hyphen
makes everything after it (the "-dpms") a server option
rather than a client option. I don't know how to turn off
DPMS for runlevel 5, graphical login.

Good luck.

Robert Riches
spamtrap42@verizon.net

  • Re: Xscreensaver
    ... This works for RedHat, Mandrake, and Suse Linux ... Slackware uses runlevel 4 for a graphical login so change this line to ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux Server Newbie Question
    ... try changing to runlevel 5 - as root type in ... This should start up a graphical login ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • [opensuse] graphical login not working
    ... í''ve modified a lampserver, the graphical login is not working, it says: ... blogd:Can not read from fd 0: Input/output error ... Master Resource Control, runlevel 5 has been reached ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Linux locking on boot (What I have tried so far)
    ... You can try to turn off the graphical login by editing ... /etc/inittab and changing the default runlevel from 5 to 3: ... The problem with the world is stupidity. ... safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself? ...
    (alt.os.linux)