Re: Questions about dual-booting Rh9 & XP

From: Dances With Crows (danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/15/04

Date: 15 Sep 2004 00:04:34 GMT

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:38:19 +0200, Stefan Viljoen staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> Dances With Crows wrote:
>
> Thanks Noi, Matt! My final plan is just to
>
> 1. Format my old W98SE partition.
> 2. Install XP in there.

Unless you partition the disk at some point, 'DozeXP will create one
huge partition. It's possible to resize NTFS and FAT32 partitions
nondestructively, but resizing takes time. If I were you, I'd do "step
1.5: Use cfdisk to create 2 partitions, 1 of type 0x0c covering the
space 'DozeXP will use, 1 of type 0x83 covering the space Linux will
use."

> 3. Boot from Linux startup floppy and do the grub root (hd0,1), setup
> (hd0,0) thing (or should it be setup (hd0)?

When you install GRUB, do it like so:

machine:~# grub
(X and Y are the GRUB numbers for the partition where your /boot (or /
if you don't have a /boot) is. hd0,1 = /dev/hda1 , hd0,2 = /dev/hda2 .)
grub> root (hdX,Y)
grub> setup (hd0) # installs GRUB on /dev/hda
grub> quit # self-explanatory, I hope

...then edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to add the WindowsXP stanza. For a
comprehensive document about how to install GRUB, see
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10 .

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!