Re: Questions about dual-booting Rh9 & XP

From: Dances With Crows (danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/15/04

Date: 15 Sep 2004 00:04:34 GMT

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:38:19 +0200, Stefan Viljoen staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> Dances With Crows wrote:
>
> Thanks Noi, Matt! My final plan is just to
>
> 1. Format my old W98SE partition.
> 2. Install XP in there.

Unless you partition the disk at some point, 'DozeXP will create one
huge partition. It's possible to resize NTFS and FAT32 partitions
nondestructively, but resizing takes time. If I were you, I'd do "step
1.5: Use cfdisk to create 2 partitions, 1 of type 0x0c covering the
space 'DozeXP will use, 1 of type 0x83 covering the space Linux will
use."

> 3. Boot from Linux startup floppy and do the grub root (hd0,1), setup
> (hd0,0) thing (or should it be setup (hd0)?

When you install GRUB, do it like so:

machine:~# grub
(X and Y are the GRUB numbers for the partition where your /boot (or /
if you don't have a /boot) is. hd0,1 = /dev/hda1 , hd0,2 = /dev/hda2 .)
grub> root (hdX,Y)
grub> setup (hd0) # installs GRUB on /dev/hda
grub> quit # self-explanatory, I hope

...then edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to add the WindowsXP stanza. For a
comprehensive document about how to install GRUB, see
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10 .

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

  • Re: GRUB or LILO on NTFS?
    ... I have a PC laptop that has a single NTFS partition, ... install GRUB or LILO. ... My goal is to boot into the OS on the NTFS ... install GRUB if you have an available e2fs or fat partition for /boot/ ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Questions about dual-booting Rh9 & XP
    ... Install XP in there. ... > Unless you partition the disk at some point, ... > comprehensive document about how to install GRUB, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] move SuSE from one harddisk to another
    ... naturally I prefer using the new and fast harddisk for '/' and use the ... 'rsync -ravxD' to move all data from old '/' to the new partition on new ... install grub). ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Cant get GRUB installed.
    ... Your bios will be set to boot a particular drive, ... Windows came up because it hit this drive and the boot strap/sector was still Windows, ... there has to be a reason why fedora won't install grub on this machine. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Grub cannot fit into boot record
    ... What am I going to do when Wheezy becomes stable. ... The disk is under 2TB, ... Did you try to install grub on all ... where "your_disk" is the device you want to install grub to ...
    (Debian-User)