Re: Software to create an E-book?

From: Grant Edwards (grante_at_visi.com)
Date: 09/30/04

Date: 30 Sep 2004 03:04:24 GMT

On 2004-09-30, Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Many Web sites have "printer friendly" pages, but I am very
>> much in favor of having each page limited to the height of one
>> screen.
>
> How high is a screen?
>
> There is no way of telling that in an HTML document. It depends on
> the screen resolution, the size of the window, the size of the
> font, the amount of zoom, etc.
>
> If you try to design pages to fit in a single screen, you have to
> do it for the smallest imaginable screen, or perhaps the smallest
> practical screen. But what is that? Is it 600 x 480? Or less? Or
> more? How many lines can you fit on that screen? You don't know,
> because you don't know the size of the type, or the amount of
> magnification. If you specify a type size, it may be too small or
> too large for any particular reader.
>
> Even if it were possible, I'd find it very annoying having to load
> another page for every screen, rather than just scrolling.

It also makes it almost impossible to search. If you insist on
doing a book HTML, I want as much of the content on a single
page as possible. Certinly nothing shorter than 5-100 "normal
book pages".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm sitting on my
                                  at               SPEED QUEEN... To me,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Astra fog lights
    ... were saying: ... Fit enough generic bits to ... cope with either, with only a small amount of tinkering required on ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)
  • Re: How to interrogate optical discs
    ... Robert G. Savage wrote: ... know as accurately as possible the size of that added amount. ... I think it depends entirely on how many directory entries it ... you may have to build an image you think will fit, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Cant run the query I need... table setup wrong?
    ... spend 5x the amount of time trying to fit the square peg into the round ... > setup now, that I really can't go back and start from scratch. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: model over-parameterization
    ... Given a non-linear model (with a certain amount of parameters) that is ... used to fit the experimental data. ... Adding parameters to the model will necessarily lead to a ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Need help using OBJECT tag
    ... body {overflow: hidden;} ... in a stylesheet for the _embedded_ document. ... Before doing so, think about the consequences: such a setting would procrustinate the content if it doesn't fit, and can you really know whether it fits? ... P.S. I'm afraid you're using as a method of including an HTML document in another. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)