What to look for in cheap X-server laptop?

From: Sam Whetstron (whetstron_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 01/03/05

Date: 3 Jan 2005 11:53:03 -0800

Hi,
I'm fed up of being tied to my desktop PC, and I want to buy a (very
cheap) second-hand laptop which I intend using mainly as a jumped-up X
server for programs running on my main machine.

My needs obviously aren't that great; obviously it has to support X,
and it also needs to be able to support an 802.11a/b/g card (I
*definitely* want 802.11a, if only because everyone else seems to be
fighting over the 802.11b/g channels). Oh yeah, and I'm looking at an
upper price range of not much more than UKP 200.00 (approx US
$370.00).

Yeah, I know this sounds simple, *but*.... has anyone else done this,
and if so, what pitfalls should I be looking for? (For example, my
understanding is that there were some problems with X support on
laptop graphics a few years back.)

Any help appreciated; I'm just trying to spot any obvious problems
*before* I put a few EBay bids in. Thanks!

--
Sam Whetstron
whetstron@yahoo.co.uk