What to look for in cheap X-server laptop?

From: Sam Whetstron (whetstron_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 01/03/05

Date: 3 Jan 2005 11:53:03 -0800

Hi,
I'm fed up of being tied to my desktop PC, and I want to buy a (very
cheap) second-hand laptop which I intend using mainly as a jumped-up X
server for programs running on my main machine.

My needs obviously aren't that great; obviously it has to support X,
and it also needs to be able to support an 802.11a/b/g card (I
*definitely* want 802.11a, if only because everyone else seems to be
fighting over the 802.11b/g channels). Oh yeah, and I'm looking at an
upper price range of not much more than UKP 200.00 (approx US
$370.00).

Yeah, I know this sounds simple, *but*.... has anyone else done this,
and if so, what pitfalls should I be looking for? (For example, my
understanding is that there were some problems with X support on
laptop graphics a few years back.)

Any help appreciated; I'm just trying to spot any obvious problems
*before* I put a few EBay bids in. Thanks!

--
Sam Whetstron
whetstron@yahoo.co.uk

Relevant Pages

  • What to look for in cheap X-server laptop?
    ... cheap) second-hand laptop which I intend using mainly as a jumped-up X ... My needs obviously aren't that great; obviously it has to support X, ... Yeah, I know this sounds simple, *but*.... ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • What to look for in cheap X-server laptop?
    ... cheap) second-hand laptop which I intend using mainly as a jumped-up X ... My needs obviously aren't that great; obviously it has to support X, ... Yeah, I know this sounds simple, *but*.... ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: Board Design
    ... for production stuff we do. ... I definitely don't *like* that fact, but we're in the situation that we have a number of ORCAD licenses that were purchased years ago so switching requires... ... The difference in support between this year and last is mind-boggling. ... Yeah, like the guy up there in the 7th row, with the beer, who's got about $15k of credit card debt ... ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Workhours--disabling games
    ... > day in and day out, is on the line, good conscience doesn't really ... >> Yeah, go trust the french over your fellow workers. ... > Got any good-ol' american products to substitute? ... > look at the support page and you'll see what I mean). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Computer weirdness, part 1...
    ... > installing with SuSE. ... Yeah - sure wish 9.1 was coming out next week! ... Hard to take it back for support. ... Kevin & Theresa Miller ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)