Re: "Torn between two OS" - Solaris vs Linux

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro (ldo_at_geek-central.gen.new_zealand)
Date: 01/08/05

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:29:03 +1300

In article <Pine.SOL.4.58.0412201151480.19783@zaphod>,
 Rich Teer <rich.teer@rite-group.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, natG wrote:
>
>> How much ram (estimate) do I save by using cde? I would use this mode
>> for a machine dedicated for a j2ee or sql server.
>
>That one is easy: servers shouldn't be running a GUI, so neither
>is required or should be installed.
>
>> What Samba does in Linux. From a Windows machine as client, I can browse
>
>Samba is just an application. It works just the same on Solaris
>as it does on Linux.

Under Linux you have smbfs, which gives you access to Samba server
volumes as though they were local volumes.

>> Samba negates the need for nfs, even amongst Linux systems,
>
>Heh. NFS predates SMB by quite a few years. If Microsoft had
>decided to adopt an open, free, standard (NFS) back then, Sambe
>wouldn't even exist. Of course, interoperability and Microsoft
>don't usually belong in the same senstence...

NFS is elderly and creaky. The only reason it's still used is because of
sheer inertia. Like that other Sun invention, NIS, it is very definitely
a product of the 1980s, back when you could trust all the machines on
your LAN.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Two problems with Samba on Suse 9.1 and Windows 98 (reposted)
    ... > I have two problems with a setup that includes two Win98 machines and ... > server on the Linux box, in addition to the existing Samba client. ... As far as I know Samba (which implements a peer-to-peer server message block ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: New to Fedora, [SOLVED] Network Issues.
    ... I disabled selinux and now everything works, ... I have just installed fedora 11 but have been a linux users for several ... I configured Samba to share a backup disk to everyone using the Samba ... Server Configuration tool GUI. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs
    ... the statement that they'd used both SAMBA and NFS and that SAMBA ... Linux boxes, but if I'm already going to have SAMBA running, what ... if the wife wants Windows, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: GPLing Solaris wont save SUN
    ... > which are NFS clients because a busy NFS server went offline for a ... I wish Linux had ... > Or requiring a bound server even to look up local info in some cases? ... Microsoft is making better technology than SUN nowadays. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs
    ... >> another NFS server goes away. ... you're reduced to using something like samba as a server ... and the Linux-to-Linux situations? ...
    (SuSE)