Shrinking kernel source

From: groutch (mapsemdnes_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/28/05

Date: 28 Jan 2005 08:54:13 -0800

Hi,

I was shocked to see the size of the latest linux kernel source
tarball - 2.6.10 is ~200MB unzipped !
Has anyone got a little script that will let me nicely strip down the
kernel source tree to remove weird bits that aren't normally needed,
such as arch-dependent stuff, scsi stuff, docs etc., to save me disk
space. I appreciate that "normally" is a bit vague.

Cheers,

Groutch

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Building Ati Radeon 9000 module for Debian bf24 Kernel
    ... Ran the make.sh script and ended up with this error: ... >>kernel but I've check and there are no source packages for it. ... >I suspect you would have better results building your ATI module if you did ... Copy the bf2.4 kernel config to the top directory of the kernel source: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • BUG: via_drmclient.h is referenced but does not exist
    ... After improving the headers_check.pl script to do a ... And indeed the file via_drmclient.h does not exist in the kernel source. ... sub check_include ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: encryted filesystems
    ... > I am aware of the security implications when a script has root ... > priviledges, but realistically, if it is some 10 line script that is ... > About the network block device thing, where can you get documentation on ... Is it included in the kernel source tree? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)