Kernel Panic with ACPI DSDT Correction Patch

From: Robert Spanton (rspanton_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/12/05

Date: 11 Feb 2005 17:59:32 -0800

Hi,

I've patched the 2.6.10 kernel that I'm using on my laptop with the
ACPI DSDT initrd patch (http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml). I've used
the DSDT table that I'm using before in a previous installation,
(before a hard disk failure and replacement on warranty) but that was
with 2.6.9.

On boot, the kernel panics and says:

        Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
        unknown-block(0,0)

I tried booting the kernel with an initrd without the added DSDT, and
it worked perfectly - with the exception of acpi.

After slight modification of printk so that the debug output scrolled
past much slower (my laptop has no serial port, so I couldn't transfer
any of the debug output to disk), I found the following message in the
midst of stuff that I believe could be related:

        checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (bad gzip magic
numbers);
        looks like an initrd

I believe that this is wrong, as `file initrd-2.6.10.img-dsdt` gives:
"gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression". I have checked
that the first two bytes of my initrd correspond to the magic numbers
of a gzip file, and they do.

I began to investigate the properties of the file that was gzipped.
file informed me that the gzip contained a "ASCII cpio archive". I've
looked through the kernel documentation, but can't find anything that
tells me what the filesystem of the initrd is.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, whats happening here or
what I should do next?

thanks,

Rob