Kernel Panic with ACPI DSDT Correction Patch

From: Robert Spanton (rspanton_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/12/05

Date: 11 Feb 2005 17:59:32 -0800

Hi,

I've patched the 2.6.10 kernel that I'm using on my laptop with the
ACPI DSDT initrd patch (http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml). I've used
the DSDT table that I'm using before in a previous installation,
(before a hard disk failure and replacement on warranty) but that was
with 2.6.9.

On boot, the kernel panics and says:

        Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
        unknown-block(0,0)

I tried booting the kernel with an initrd without the added DSDT, and
it worked perfectly - with the exception of acpi.

After slight modification of printk so that the debug output scrolled
past much slower (my laptop has no serial port, so I couldn't transfer
any of the debug output to disk), I found the following message in the
midst of stuff that I believe could be related:

        checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (bad gzip magic
numbers);
        looks like an initrd

I believe that this is wrong, as `file initrd-2.6.10.img-dsdt` gives:
"gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression". I have checked
that the first two bytes of my initrd correspond to the magic numbers
of a gzip file, and they do.

I began to investigate the properties of the file that was gzipped.
file informed me that the gzip contained a "ASCII cpio archive". I've
looked through the kernel documentation, but can't find anything that
tells me what the filesystem of the initrd is.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, whats happening here or
what I should do next?

thanks,

Rob

Relevant Pages

  • [RFC] Include ACPI DSDT from INITRD patch into mainline
    ... I'd be willing to bet that most distros have this patch in their kernel. ... +2003 by Markuss Gaugusch < dsdt at gaugusch dot org> ... +2.6.0 and later modified it to read inside initramfs ... +Once your new DSDT is ready you'll have to add it to an initrd so that the ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: booting from ISO image on HD?
    ... >> through customized initrd files for each one. ... > between the loopback device and the underlying file (the iso image). ... I have to insmod the loop kernel module(e.g. ... how can you boot it from an initrd??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: fsck fails during boot with 2.6.9-34.0.1.EL kernel because root filesystem is already rw mou
    ... I think there was a little fault in building the new initrd. ... The mount-command of the init-script is wrong and makes confusing, e.g.: first the root-filesystem must mount read/write, it accepts. ... It looks like in the early stage of the booting, when the kernel is using the initrd to load the ... I still do not understand why in my new initrd file, with the new kernel, the root filesystem is ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Now wont boot (was: Re: Squeeze assembles one RAID array, at boot but not the other
    ... Different kernel version ... Won't boot. ... directories of an initrd bootstrapping image. ... Because your raid did not assemble the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: booting from ISO image on HD?
    ... I'm not going to write the pivot root script, ... > through customized initrd files for each one. ... I have to insmod the loop kernel module(e.g. ... The idea is that either you build what you need to boot into your ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)