Taking over a console session?

From: Hernán Freschi (hjf.usenet_at_hjf.com.ar)
Date: 02/26/05

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:52:46 -0300

Hi all. I usually leave the computer to do things while I go around the
house (or outside, etc), and sometimes I need to supervise it often. I
can do that easily with Windows XP's remote desktop feature. In some
ways it sucks (only one person can use the computer at the time), but it
has the advantage that I can take over the session I left in the
console, and manage it from another computer.

My question is, is it possible to do that on a Linux machine via ssh? I
don't use X for my servers, but sometimes I do things like compiling
something and I have to check it from another computer, but ssh will
only allow me to open a new session. How can I take over a running session?

hjf

--
Sí esta atascado, fuércelo. Sí se rompe, es que necesitaba ser reemplazado.
http://www.hjf.com.ar/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Taking over a console session?
    ... > house, and sometimes I need to supervise it often. ... > can do that easily with Windows XP's remote desktop feature. ... is it possible to do that on a Linux machine via ssh? ... > only allow me to open a new session. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: unresponsive ssh sessions
    ... but now the session window is just dying. ... Also, I ssh from this same box to another ubuntu server on the network, and ssh windows to that box keep working fine, no matter how much idle they are. ... the ssh session hangs if no activity for 1-2 hours. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Lazy Ass Pelosi vacations while Bush works
    ... Emergency Supplemental Appropriations bill for the troops. ... Pelosi neglected to appoint House conferees before the two-week ... We are writing to urge you to call the House back into session ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Re: Learning Expect - Some help with a straightforward script + advice on cleaner ways to do thi
    ...  This is the first script of a few to go across multiple servers, but basically I have a very, very, very outdated hosts file that needs to be updated, as well as servers whose ... This script is used to ensure servers are up and running. ... # Need a way to check for an ssh time out/hang on connect ... # - Checking if the ssh session is connecting and then getting term'd ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Sessions names
    ... ssh 192.168.2.80??? ... You can write a wrapper script that would start ssh to some ip and rename the ... konsole session dynamically. ... dcop call to konsole you need to know the pid of konsole. ...
    (KDE)