Re: Where did GRUB put my Windows bootloader?

From: Mike Oliver (mike_lists_at_verizon.net)
Date: 03/06/05

Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:13:40 -0600

John Hasler wrote:

> Ryan Reich writes:
>
>>I don't think Grub will work if you wipe the Linux partitions.
>

> By "wipe" he probably means "delete". That, of course, does not delete any
> of the data.

Not sure just what you're saying here. If I delete the partition
(from the partition table), of course it would be because I'm
planning to put something else there instead.

But I'm not asking just about whether GRUB will work. I
want to make sure I can still boot *Windows*. I assume
that when I boot Windows, what happens is that GRUB
daisy-chains to the Windows bootloader code, wherever
it was moved when I installed GRUB. But I don't know
where it was moved.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Boot manager for Windows only
    ... And also is GRUB capable of booting any ... > Windows partition or will it always hand over to the XP boot loader? ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [SLE] Need opinion on installing dual boot (SuSE and w2k)
    ... > select windows from the grub screen. ... Windows demands a c: partition all to ... recover a Linux boot by setting the GRUB partition as a windows boot option, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to create GRUB image into a file
    ... I want to use Windows XP boot loader, ... the only way I have to start linux is a boot disk with GRUB. ... You say you don't have a boot partition. ... What filesystem are you using as your "root" filesystem in Linux? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Howto fix grub after converting to reiserfs
    ... The initial load of grub is done by the BIOS, which reads the boot sectors for additional information for the boot process. ... If you still have problems, and can come up with a small bit of additional disk space, near the beginning of the disk, create a separate partition for /boot and format it as ext3, move all the files from your existing subdirectory into this new partition, edit the menu.lst file to remove all references to '/boot', edit fstab to do a mount of this partition on /boot, and reboot. ... it will perform a full install presuming the Stage 2 or Stage 1.5^10 is in its final install location. ... 0, Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x16 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • fixing grub : mbr fix when windows install after linux
    ... "There is not a boot manager screen at all, ... windows but GRUB boot window does not appear. ... "I forgot to install GRUB, I didn't install GRUB in the MBR, I chose ... Fedora but that was not an active primary partition". ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)