[Debian sarge] strange login behavior

From: Mike Oliver (mike_lists_at_verizon.net)
Date: 03/09/05

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:59:33 -0600

So I recently did an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" on my sarge
installation. Now when I reboot, X starts up (runlevel 5), and the
login screen shows up, but doesn't respond to the keyboard/keypad.
(This is a Compaq laptop; I have a PS/2 keyboard attached). I'm
running KDE 3.3 but I'm a little foggy on whether KDE is running
when I get to the login screen.

The workaround I've found is: Click on Menu and choose Console Login.
In a minute or two it times out and restarts X; this time, I
can login at the graphical screen with no problems.

Any idea what's going on here? During the upgrade I was bombarded
with a bunch of messages I didn't really understand about ThinkPad
and tpb and tpctl--note that my machine is *not* a ThinkPad. But
in any case I tried removing the executable bit from /etc/init.d/tpctl
and rebooting, and it didn't change a thing.

Relevant Pages

  • Thinkpad running Linux freezes plus more
    ... I have had regular problems using Red Hat Linux 9.0 over my Thinkpad ... R40, ... message on resuming, which requires a reboot. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: Intermittent wireless Issues...
    ... The reboot works every time. ... Control' it simply fails, If I go to the Knetwork Manager (I'm running KDE) ... and the connection fails. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Reproducible Panic with port iplog
    ... Kris Kennaway wrote: ... > manage to reboot. ... No reboot, no dump. ... Have to pull the battery from the ThinkPad ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • [opensuse] ThinkPad shutdown takes long time
    ... I've noticed sometimes it takes a long time for my ThinkPad E520 to ... reboot when running openSUSE 12.3. ... When this occurs and I press Esc, ... started Show Plymouth Reboot Screen. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Thinkpad E520 & openSUSE 12.3 - No shut down or reboot
    ... I just installed openSUSE 12.3 on my ThinkPad E520 and one thing I've noticed is that when I try to shut down or reboot, using the desktop or menu, my computer only proceeds to a black screen and does not complete shutting down or rebooting. ... To contact the owner, e-mail: ...
    (SuSE)