[Debian sarge] strange login behavior

From: Mike Oliver (mike_lists_at_verizon.net)
Date: 03/09/05

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:59:33 -0600

So I recently did an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" on my sarge
installation. Now when I reboot, X starts up (runlevel 5), and the
login screen shows up, but doesn't respond to the keyboard/keypad.
(This is a Compaq laptop; I have a PS/2 keyboard attached). I'm
running KDE 3.3 but I'm a little foggy on whether KDE is running
when I get to the login screen.

The workaround I've found is: Click on Menu and choose Console Login.
In a minute or two it times out and restarts X; this time, I
can login at the graphical screen with no problems.

Any idea what's going on here? During the upgrade I was bombarded
with a bunch of messages I didn't really understand about ThinkPad
and tpb and tpctl--note that my machine is *not* a ThinkPad. But
in any case I tried removing the executable bit from /etc/init.d/tpctl
and rebooting, and it didn't change a thing.