Making an iPOD mini work with Suse Linux 9.2 (9.1)

From: Sven Lossman (lossman99_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/27/05

Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:37:46 -0500

While the iPod original seems to work rather well, the mini has problems
even with a FAT format because of the way Linux recognizes the file system.

Here is how to make it work:

# If you are using a 2.4.x kernel or a non Suse distro DONT USE THESE INSTRUCTIONS !!
# If you are using Suse 9.1 with 2.6.4-52 (i.e. factory) here's what I did to build:

# Install the kernel source from the distro with YAST, You may already have done this.
# Make a sym link from /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.6.4-52
cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config /tmp/ #save it just in case
make mrproper
# copy a known good .config file to /usr/src/linux There is a good one at /boot/
cp /boot/config-2.6.4-52-default /usr/src/linux/.config
make xconfig #make any changes and then save and exit
# If you didn't use the gui, as per earlier posts, to change CONFIG_EFI_PARTION
# then edit .config manaully and change CONFIG_EFI_PARTION=y to
# CONFIG_EFI_PARTION is not set
# don't forget to put a # in the first column in .config for that entry!!
# Now edit Makfile and change EXTRAVERSION to something other than default
# this prevents the install from overwritting the original kernel and
# possibly leaving you with an unloadable kernel and a panic.
# Now build the kernel.
# The instructions say all you need to do is:
make install
# That's supposed to be it.
# But I had to also run !?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
make modules
make modules_install
# Now check /boot/ contents and
# assuming you're using grub also check /boot/grub/menu.lst and if it looks ok
# then cross your fingers and reboot.

This method worked perfectly for me and you can read the entire thread
here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=213012&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

And another troll dropping goes down the drain!

--
Sven Lossman