Re: Linux friendly internet service

From: Michael Heiming (michael+USENET_at_www.heiming.de)
Date: 03/29/05

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:39:31 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc Dave Uhring <daveuhring@yahoo.com>:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:44:38 +0000, Unruh wrote:

>> He seems to want DSL not dialup. The key issue with DSL is to get an

>From the OP he seems to have strong doubts that DSL might not be
available at all in this location, perhaps he should look around
at first. Likely that a smaller ISP is more Linux friendly.

>> ethernet modem/router, rather than a usb modem. The former should be just
>> plug and play. The latter apparently are more difficult.

> No, the key issue with DSL is one's wire distance from the central office.
> Recall that the OP stated "It's a bit of a remote location, so there's a
> good chance I'll be limited to dial-up." DSL simply will not work if one
> is more than 17K-18K wire feet from the CO.

Really that much? 5-6 km, thought the possible distance would be
much lower for reasonable speed? But then, living about 50 m (164
ft) from "my" DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer)
which hopefully directly connects me to bandwidth in the gigabit
range.;) Never really cared about the problem.

[..]

#bofh excuse 65: system needs to be rebooted