Re: Linux friendly internet service

From: Michael Heiming (michael+USENET_at_www.heiming.de)
Date: 03/29/05

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:39:31 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc Dave Uhring <daveuhring@yahoo.com>:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:44:38 +0000, Unruh wrote:

>> He seems to want DSL not dialup. The key issue with DSL is to get an

>From the OP he seems to have strong doubts that DSL might not be
available at all in this location, perhaps he should look around
at first. Likely that a smaller ISP is more Linux friendly.

>> ethernet modem/router, rather than a usb modem. The former should be just
>> plug and play. The latter apparently are more difficult.

> No, the key issue with DSL is one's wire distance from the central office.
> Recall that the OP stated "It's a bit of a remote location, so there's a
> good chance I'll be limited to dial-up." DSL simply will not work if one
> is more than 17K-18K wire feet from the CO.

Really that much? 5-6 km, thought the possible distance would be
much lower for reasonable speed? But then, living about 50 m (164
ft) from "my" DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer)
which hopefully directly connects me to bandwidth in the gigabit
range.;) Never really cared about the problem.

[..]

#bofh excuse 65: system needs to be rebooted

Relevant Pages

  • Re: preparing for fetchmail & postfix
    ... > I want to set up my home network, so that my Linux box gets the mail from ... we have four or five e-mail aliases with My ISP account. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Linux-friendly ISPs
    ... A non-Linux friendly ISP is one that will refuse to log a fault report, ... you're running Linux. ... ISP's network, you would need SMTP AUTH with TLS enabled and the account ... connectivity is NOT universal if your ethernet card has been fried. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: How to establish connections to the servers inside a DMZ?
    ... Your problem relates to getting the ISP interface to respond correctly ... As I said there are several ways to go about that -- aliases on the ISP ... There are other, peculiar to Linux, sorts of problems also. ... Your best bet is to get a firewall package that you can be comfortable ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: ppp times out
    ... In the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, ... dial-up ISP under any version of Linux I tried, ... or the ISP? ... Do you know that ATZ is setting the modem to a known state? ...
    (comp.protocols.ppp)
  • Re: preparing for fetchmail & postfix
    ... >> I want to set up my home network, so that my Linux box gets the mail ... >> from the ISP and the windoze boxes then get their mail from it. ... >> connected to a wireless ADSL router (which acts as the DHCP server). ... When I've played with fetchmail, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)