Linux on a 1gB USB Stick

Papa.Legba.666_at_gmail.com
Date: 05/07/05

Date: 7 May 2005 08:51:42 -0700

There are credit card CD distros & there are USB stick distros. I am
interested in the latter.

I looked at Florian, Damn Small Linux & Flash Linux, but they are all
"damn small" (max 256 mB). I would like to do something larger with a
1gB stick (perhaps even 2gB), possibly based on Knoppix.

Two questions:

1) does such a distro already exist?

2) Is there a problem with the number of tiem the USB stick can bve
written to (100,000 ?) If so, can I mount most of the system
read-only, except, perhaps, for /home?

As a bonus, it would be nice if I could very easilly add my own apps...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hyped to be migrating to Linux... need input.
    ... I am excited to be moving to Linux. ... There are so many distros. ... EPSON Perfection1250 USB Scanner ... across distros for apps, swap, etc.) ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Hyped to be migrating to Linux... need input.
    ... I am excited to be moving to Linux. ... There are so many distros. ... EPSON Perfection1250 USB Scanner ... across distros for apps, swap, etc.) ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: OT: We all live in a Windows Submarine
    ... Linux is not perfect, and some kernels are simply buggy. ... It is only about 400MB, I have smaller distros too, SPB linux, on a 128 MB USB stick, etc. ... So, apart from the windows imitation bloat ware that for example Suse makes these days, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • HIGHMEM slows down 2.6.11-rc3-bk7 machine
    ... disabled in BIOS, mainly USB/NET/FIREWIRE/SATA stuff. ... Linux agpgart interface v0.100 Dave Jones ... usbcore: registered new driver hub ... ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: new USB bus registered, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Unable to mount sitecom cn300 multi memory card reader.
    ... But in dmesg I can't find this line "scsi0: SCSI emulation for USB Mass ... The distribution I use is SuSE 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20-4GB). ... Reader/Writer under Linux. ... HiSax: Linux Driver for passive ISDN cards ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)