Re: My First Linux Crash

From: Jean-David Beyer (jdbeyer_at_exit109.com)
Date: 06/08/05

    Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:07:27 -0400

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer@exit109.com> wrote:
    >
    >>When X used to lock up on me (in Red Hat Linux 5.0 and 6.0 and 6.2), the
    >>keyboard was always really dead.
    >

    > Heh, but you coould have logged in via ssh and killed X.

    Yes, but that is because I have a tiny LAN with another (Linux) machine on
    it. If the O.P. does not have another machine capable of running ssh, he
    might have difficulty. Also, if he reported correctly than his NIC was not
    responding.

    > Come to that, one of the secure attention keys always kills whoever has
    > the current console. I forget which, and I am not trying it ..

    Control-Alt-Backspace is supposed to kill X, but it does not do it if X is
    not responding.

    SysRQ-k is supposed to kill the current virtual console.
    ... and I am not trying it either.

     ^^-^^ 08:00:00 up 10 days, 14:36, 3 users, load average: 4.20, 4.21, 4.15