Re: My First Linux Crash

From: Jean-David Beyer (jdbeyer_at_exit109.com)
Date: 06/08/05

    Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:07:27 -0400

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer@exit109.com> wrote:
    >
    >>When X used to lock up on me (in Red Hat Linux 5.0 and 6.0 and 6.2), the
    >>keyboard was always really dead.
    >

    > Heh, but you coould have logged in via ssh and killed X.

    Yes, but that is because I have a tiny LAN with another (Linux) machine on
    it. If the O.P. does not have another machine capable of running ssh, he
    might have difficulty. Also, if he reported correctly than his NIC was not
    responding.

    > Come to that, one of the secure attention keys always kills whoever has
    > the current console. I forget which, and I am not trying it ..

    Control-Alt-Backspace is supposed to kill X, but it does not do it if X is
    not responding.

    SysRQ-k is supposed to kill the current virtual console.
    ... and I am not trying it either.

     ^^-^^ 08:00:00 up 10 days, 14:36, 3 users, load average: 4.20, 4.21, 4.15

    • remote administration of upgrades
      ... server that I administer runs FreeBSD 4.8, ... have ssh access to ... don't want to fubar sshd and then not be able to ... kill only the ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: possibly hacked? Need some ideas please!
      ... > a small office behind a hardware firewall. ... It responds to ping! ... Hopefully this is tunneled through ssh. ... I have seen systems responding to pings in the ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • /tmp suddenly full - possible DOS hack?
      ... firewall with ports open for ssh, dns, and http. ... trouble with my DNS not responding, then noticed that ssh was not ... but if some of the list sages could be so kind as to ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: /tmp suddenly full - possible DOS hack?
      ... > firewall with ports open for ssh, dns, and http. ... > trouble with my DNS not responding, then noticed that ssh was not ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: My First Linux Crash
      ... If the O.P. does not have another machine capable of running ssh, ... Since SysRQ does work on a virtual console, it is clearly enabled on my system. ... it grabs _all_ keyboard keystrokes. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)