Re: Laptop advice

From: General Schvantzkoph (schvantzkoph_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 06/26/05

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:22:59 -0400

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:00:10 -0700, Noah Roberts wrote:

> I am looking into getting a laptop now. I might go with something with
> the 64 in it. I am interested in hearing any experience with laptops
> out there from people who know how to get their systems working. Which
> ones have the best Linux support and which ones have some off the wall
> crap in them that won't work.
>
> I don't really care about getting 3d video working but want nice
> responsive 2d with 24bpp and a nice decent sized resolution. I do want
> sound and probably the ability to watch videos full screen. (Speaking
> of which, does the widescreen stuff work in Linux the way it is supposed
> to?) Those are really the only things I have ever had issues with.
> I'll probably make a lot of use of any wireless and/or hardline
> networking in the thing so that is also important.
>
> At any rate, any info on the newer model laptops and Linux would be
> nice. I am getting rather interested in getting one and will be
> installing Linux on it if I do.
>
> Thanks.

I have the Compaq R3000z with an Athlon64 3400+ in it. It's screaming
fast, works fine with Fedora Core 3. Unfortunately the wireless is a
Broadcom chip which doesn't have a native Linux driver. I got it working
once with using Ndiswrapper but it's a pain in the ass having to install
something like that. If I had it to do over I would have gotten it without
the wireless and used a third party PCMCIA card. Th graphics is an Nvidia
GeForce 440 Go which is bottom of the line, however it's more then quick
enough for most uses especially with the Nvidia binary drivers which work
fine with it.

With the A64, make sure that you get one with a 1M cache, the 3400+ and
3700+ both have 1M caches. Cache size is much more important then clock
speed. I have a 3800+ desktop system (1/2M cache 939 pin) and a 3400+
laptop (1M cache, 754 pin). The 3400+ is twice as fast as the 3800+ doing
Verilog simulations.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Which laptop for Linux.
    ... Will work in wi fi mode under Linux. ... Studio laptops have Broadcom WiFI so it doesn't work out of the box ... HPs were all perfect, in Staples they had a live WiFI network, F10 Live ... The wireless router I have is a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem
    ... Do you know of, can you name, another distro where "Wireless" does not ... well on laptops a two or three releases ago. ... I crossed out Linux and substituted Fedora. ... I'm assuming working drivers; ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: URGENT - Pls help...pls recommend - laptop purchase
    ... management features of even the dual core Pentium). ... cost laptops running Celerons is what millions needs. ... hardware always had to play catch up ... As far as Linux, ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • RE: Laptop Considerations
    ... > graphics designers consider these strange resolutions the ... > wireless, nice ... > so I believe it can run Linux without troubles. ... > I have a dell xps laptop and it runs great, ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Any suggestion of buy a wireless pci card?
    ... I want to install a wireless LAN in ... I usually find buy a hardware for linux need more ... a PCI card is probably ... with a couple of low-frequency cables ...
    (Fedora)