Re: Using Fedora as a fileserver for XP boxes

From: Michael Heiming (michael+USENET_at_www.heiming.de)
Date: 08/30/05

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:42:44 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc Celia <CeliaP@..>:
> I have a network with 4 XP boxes and a windows 2000 server acting as a
> fileserver.

> I'd like to replace the windows 2000 machine with a Fedora Core 4 machine.

I'd suggest against FC4, you want to run a distro with long
patches/support availability, redhat enterprise (4.0) or one of
the free "clones" CentOS/etc if you want rh.

> What file system should I use to store my 200+ gigs of files?

> It appears that linux can't confidently do write operations on an NTFS
> drive, and FAT32 can't handle >4 gigs per file.

> Can I just format an ext3 drive and use samba to access (read/write) the
> files from my XP clients?

Yep, the fs on your server doesn't matter to the clients they are
using it through samba network shares. Good idea to plan on
backup and if you want/need raid on the server.

Good luck

#bofh excuse 290: The CPU has shifted, and become decentralized.

Relevant Pages

  • RH Enterprise V3 kernel IP problems
    ... or TCP/IP issues with the RedHat Enterprise ... I am using RedHat EV3, kernel 2.4.21-27.ELsmp, as my Faircom Ctree DB ... server. ... My clients "sometimes," no specific pattern or circumstances, ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • RE: Users Cant Access Documents on Server
    ... Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup. ... As well as we know, if a workstation would not access network shares, then ... Leave the Default Gateway of the internal NIC blank of the server box. ... Clients That Require SMB Signing ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Users Cant Access Documents on Server
    ... my computer to the network on the server. ... Connection Wizard none of the computers were listed. ... The Mac clients can not communicate with the server box. ... > Error Messages When You Open or Copy Network Files on Windows XP SP1 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [SLE] SMTP authentication
    ... So eventhough my local SMTP server dials up to the internet with a certain username and password, that same username and password would not be used as authentication between my local SMTP server and the ISP's one, should it be used as a relay? ... either defer all outgoing mails until you connect to the internet, then flush out all the mails in the queue. ... Your local server would use an external program like fetchmail to poll the mailserver of your ISP, download the mails and feed them to Postfix. ... The test does NOT say "All clients must be in mynetworks, ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: VPN Clients Not Registering in AD DNS
    ... via VPN, the DNS records of the VPN clients are unable to be registered. ... Windows 2003 server? ... please let me know whether the clients get the IP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)