Re: RSYNC Question

From: Unruh (unruh-spam_at_physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 09/14/05

Date: 14 Sep 2005 19:56:38 GMT

amerar@iwc.net writes:

>I appreciate everyones comments. As for the person who said "read the
>manpage". So, you are tellnig me that you have always understood and
>never needed advice when reading some documentation? It is quite
>possible that I just did not grasp the contents, and would like a bit
>of help. That is what these groups are here for........

>So, basically I want to run this rsync daily, and remove whatever is on
>/mnt/newroot/newcopy before the actualy copy takes place. I assume
>that is what the --delete is for..........

No. delete removes all files which are NOT on the source. Thus if you had
yesterday a file called /donaldduck and you erased it, then with --delete
that file will be erased from the backup today. However if you added
something to the file donaldduck then rsync will determine what was added
(by use of hashing subsections of the file) and only transfer the changes.
IE, DO NOT erase /mnt/newroot/newcopy. Use rsync and it will make the
update far far more efficiently than simply copying over everything.

Note-- it is actually a bad idea to use --delete for backups. One of the
key uses of backups is when you erase donaldduck and then a day later
remember it contained the complete list of all of your passwords, ones you
do not remember. without --delete, rsync would not have taken it out of the
backup. With --delete, you are screwed.

Of course this means the backup grows, so every once in while it is a good
idea to use --delete once you are damn sure that there are no deleted
files you really wanted to keep.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] Suggestions for backup software?
    ... be something capable of bridging DVDs for a total backup, and probably CDs for incremental backup. ... At home I have an old file server running 10.0 and all you need is rsync that is already installed on your system. ... The way I set up rsync is to set up a primary script that calls rsync which then reads a second file to get a list of directories to back up. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Sorta OT - Backup solutions Mac to FreeBSD
    ... I am backing up 5 servers on one centralized machines using "rsnapshot" It is doing a perfect job, ... As It uses a symlink strategy, It does not use very much space on the backup device. ... and remote machines over ssh. ... If you are syncing OSX 10.4 use the Apple provided rsync and not any other. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Looking for advice on rsync
    ... >etc.) you can have inconsistent versions on the backup media. ... Somebody told them that rsync could prevent ... >you run, but that's application level, and this app has no such ... If they use snapshots, that period can be ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Mounting external USB disk
    ... If you intend to backup to a device it's prudent to check the device is mounted ... claiming that it can't correctly mount /dev/ ... It's not uncommon for the BIOS to list USB devices before SATA and IDE devices, ... external USB drive it will run an automatic rsync of certain directory trees. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: printer problems
    ... >> The Laserjet seems to be connected and communicating with the Fedora ... > How about just using rsync for backup? ... >> How about just using rsync for backup? ... > comment = Rsync Backup Server ...
    (Fedora)