Re: How to recover symlinks for debian???

fritz-bayer_at_web.de
Date: 09/28/05

Date: 28 Sep 2005 09:04:14 -0700

Peter T. Breuer schrieb:

> fritz-bayer@web.de wrote:
> > I accidently delete all symbolic links in my /etc/ directory. I know
> > that's really stupid.
>
> > I'm using debian/sarge. Does somebody know how I could recreated all
> > the symbolic links, which got lost?
>
> Reinstall the package that supplied them. I imagine ssysvysv init accunts
> for most! Ask your package manager.
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

I used alread dpkg-reconfigure on allmost all the important base
packages, but the symlinks do not show up.

You mean I should remove and reinstall the packes completely? Not just
reconfigure them?

I'm a little bit worried as it seems that I can't use dselect anymore
to install over the net. I get strange errors I guess due to the
missing links...

The only thing I could get back are the alternative links, by running
update-alternatives. That restore them.

The biggest problem is that I do not even know which links to restore
because I deleted ALL symlinks in etc.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a
    ... How can I reinstall them? ... $ lslpp -fc | grep libintl ... unpack the package to a temporary directory and restore the needed ... $ man restore # since BFF filesets are in the backup/restore format. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Windows Media Player
    ... The programt hat you used to create the images should have detailed instructions on how to restore the image. ... peter wrote: ... Do I have to reformate and reinstall? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: yast damaged
    ... ivan danicic wrote: ... >> Hi Peter, yes I had done that but it didn't help. ... I noticed that if I reinstall yast2-2.9.60-5.i586.rpm and then ... try to run yast2 that package will again have disappeared (-q gives "not ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Geolocation Testing
    ... Well, let me ask you this, Peter: If I was to go out to some random ... that when your request comes in, the only piece of information available to ... spoof http requests to the current geolocation package that we have to ... location of a request to our servers. ...
  • Re: Aptitudes reinstall
    ... whether a reinstall that it requested actually took place. ... Usually aptitude figures this sort of thing out with an after-the-fact ... examination of package states, ... about the "re-installation" so they don't do the wrong thing, ...
    (Debian-User)