All you Dell owners aren't helping.

From: morfeeus (morfeeus_at_morfeeus.com)
Date: 10/07/05

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:16:33 -0400

When Linux finally blows Windows off the desktop - which will happen
eventually unless Redmond really changes, or the Linux world really
screws up - it will be despite Dell, not because of them.

But I will guarantee when that happens that you will see ads from Dell
about their wonderful support of Linux and how "we" have really worked
all these years to make this happen.

Everybody bought nothing but IBM and we got the microchannel.
Nobody bought OS/2 and we got Windows 3.x.
Everybody shops only at Walmart and soon there will be only Walmart to
shop at.
Nobody buys any PC but Dell so ... Well, you fill it in.

morfeeus

Relevant Pages

  • Re: dell computer construction
    ... When I bought this Dell back in August of 1999 the only way Dell would install linux was if you were a business. ... I found out much later after I had gotten Linux talking that a single line in autoexec.bat would have solved that problem but by then it had been way too many installs and I can assure you installing windows 98se using instructions you wrote down on a piece of braille paper and listening for the sound of the hard drive no longer running to key in the next command is an adventure noone should have to live through! ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Even DELL says LINUX IS A DUD!!!!
    ... Dell has specific agreement ... Windows, specifically Windows XP home edition or Windows XP ... > So which one of the 500 plus versions of Linux did you have in mind? ... Another very popular trend has been to install VMWare and then install ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Even DELL says LINUX IS A DUD!!!!
    ... Dell has specific agreement ... Windows, specifically Windows XP home edition or Windows XP ... > So which one of the 500 plus versions of Linux did you have in mind? ... Another very popular trend has been to install VMWare and then install ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: CNET News: Dell to offer more Linux PCs, Ubuntus creator says
    ... Canonical to provide support for it, said that Dell is happy with the ... demand it has seen for Linux PCs, ... PC's and save a whopping $50 over the cost of the equivalent Windows ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Only 16 More Days to Go
    ... There is no money to be made in supporting a free Linux Distro, no incentive, and until the home user is well catered re software that looks and feels and works like Windows software, free Linux distros have a problem. ... Wouldn't you go to the OEM of the computers with Linux on them from Walmart instead of the retailer for support? ...