Re: Microsoft Hatred FAQ

From: Tim Hammerquist (tim_at_vegeta.ath.cx)
Date: 10/16/05

Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 06:58:07 GMT

Jeroen Wenting <jwenting> wrote:
> Microsoft isn't evil, they're not a monopoly either.
> If they were a monopoly they'd have 100% of the market and
> there'd be no other software manufacturers at all.

Interesting. Standard Oil only had about 2/3 of the oil
refining market when they were split up. And Microsoft has
a fair bit more of the home computer market than that.

The fact is, while Microsoft is not the only firm in the market,
and are not a "pure monopoly", they are a de facto monopoly, and
have been found on multiple occasions to violate many of the
same practices which Standard Oil performed and caused to become
illegal.

Microsoft is a monopoly, as defined by US Antitrust Law. And as
they've been found similarly guilty by other governing bodies,
it doesn't seem to be a purely American deduction.

I won't deny that Microsoft has done possibly more than any
other single entity to further the mass adoption of public
computer use. I also won't deny that they used a combination of
good products and good business tactics to get to the top of the
industry. I also can't in good conscience call them "evil".

I will, however, say that they have engaged in immoral[*],
unethical, and illegal practices to artificially maintain and
augment their position in the industry and has not yet provided
products/services to back it up.

[*] Yeah, I know. What place do morals have in the business
    world. I'm an idealist. Sue me.

Cheers,
Tim Hammerquist

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Microsoft Hatred FAQ
    ... > Microsoft isn't evil, ... Standard Oil only had about 2/3 of the oil ... refining market when they were split up. ... I also can't in good conscience call them "evil". ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: General Open Source Softare question.
    ... popular languages. ... I think) sued Microsoft because Microsoft decided to come out with a ... that Apache has roughly 67% of the web server market. ... training to use that OS and application (For a lot of people, Windows/98 ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: SysInternals acquired by Microsoft
    ... In context of this particular thread your raving about SecureWave, ... security, this feature would be just inconvenient for users. ... commercial BBS market, a legacy market that pretty much help mold and start ... Anyway, your point is well taken, Microsoft isn't really at fault here. ...
  • Re: Linux Market share?
    ... >number is almost microscopic (since most Linux servers are configured ... many of the servers now ... >> captured by some product provider to that market. ... >> which is the market area that Microsoft was found to have monopoly power ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Microsoft is in deep trouble and now it is going to die
    ... WITH TWO OVERLAPPING events, Microsoft admitted what we have been saying all along, Vista, aka Windows Me Two, is a joke that no one wants. ... I personally am expecting a nicely steady growth of the Mac market share as Windows XP antiquates and people want something more modern and effective to which to turn. ... Another hilarious observation is when Mac zealots declare BMW this and Porche that and that market share isn't really important when all at the same time they cream their collective pants when OS x's market share jumps from 4.1 % to 4.1.00005%. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)