Re: Microsoft Hatred FAQ

From: Tim Hammerquist (
Date: 10/16/05

Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 06:58:07 GMT

Jeroen Wenting <jwenting> wrote:
> Microsoft isn't evil, they're not a monopoly either.
> If they were a monopoly they'd have 100% of the market and
> there'd be no other software manufacturers at all.

Interesting. Standard Oil only had about 2/3 of the oil
refining market when they were split up. And Microsoft has
a fair bit more of the home computer market than that.

The fact is, while Microsoft is not the only firm in the market,
and are not a "pure monopoly", they are a de facto monopoly, and
have been found on multiple occasions to violate many of the
same practices which Standard Oil performed and caused to become

Microsoft is a monopoly, as defined by US Antitrust Law. And as
they've been found similarly guilty by other governing bodies,
it doesn't seem to be a purely American deduction.

I won't deny that Microsoft has done possibly more than any
other single entity to further the mass adoption of public
computer use. I also won't deny that they used a combination of
good products and good business tactics to get to the top of the
industry. I also can't in good conscience call them "evil".

I will, however, say that they have engaged in immoral[*],
unethical, and illegal practices to artificially maintain and
augment their position in the industry and has not yet provided
products/services to back it up.

[*] Yeah, I know. What place do morals have in the business
    world. I'm an idealist. Sue me.

Tim Hammerquist

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Microsoft Hatred FAQ
    ... > Microsoft isn't evil, ... Standard Oil only had about 2/3 of the oil ... refining market when they were split up. ... I also can't in good conscience call them "evil". ...
  • Re: General Open Source Softare question.
    ... popular languages. ... I think) sued Microsoft because Microsoft decided to come out with a ... that Apache has roughly 67% of the web server market. ... training to use that OS and application (For a lot of people, Windows/98 ...
  • Re: SysInternals acquired by Microsoft
    ... In context of this particular thread your raving about SecureWave, ... security, this feature would be just inconvenient for users. ... commercial BBS market, a legacy market that pretty much help mold and start ... Anyway, your point is well taken, Microsoft isn't really at fault here. ...
  • Re: Linux Market share?
    ... >number is almost microscopic (since most Linux servers are configured ... many of the servers now ... >> captured by some product provider to that market. ... >> which is the market area that Microsoft was found to have monopoly power ...
  • Re: Apples poor positioning for the age *after* x86
    ... That's what made MSFT ... There may or may not be an Apple value proposition in a year ... Early indications are that Microsoft still doesn't ... comes, rather, from the position they hold in the market. ...