Re: Optimizing Fedora Core 3

From: Yves Bellefeuille (yan_at_storm.ca)
Date: 10/20/05

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:32:01 -0400

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, JesusFreak wrote:

> Reading the / and launching programs primarily, my hdd runs at 7200
> rpm, so I don't think that that is the problem, maybe some more RAM or
> faster CPU

OK, here are a couple of things to check.

Run "top". Is cpu usage (user + system + nice) often 100%? If so,
consider getting a faster processor. (If you're running a
"distributed computing" program like Gimps, stop it first.)

Is a task with "swap" in its name requiring a lot of time? If so, add
memory.

Do "hdparm /dev/hda". Here are my results:

/dev/hda:
 multcount = 16 (on)
 IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq = 1 (on)
 using_dma = 1 (on)
 keepsettings = 0 (off)
 readonly = 0 (off)
 readahead = 256 (on)
 geometry = 16383/255/63, sectors = 40020664320, start = 0

Note that multiple sector I/O is set at 16 sectors, 32-bit I/O
support is on and using_dma is on.

Run "hdparm -Tt" to test the drives. Here are my results for comparison:

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads: 1452 MB in 2.00 seconds = 724.51 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 124 MB in 3.00 seconds = 41.33 MB/sec

Run "prelink -avR". I think that Fedora 3 does this by default.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"America is less a beacon of hope than a dangerous force to be

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Optimizing Fedora Core 3
    ... > rpm, so I don't think that that is the problem, maybe some more RAM or ... > faster CPU ... Run along, troll boy. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [SLE] Older motherboard dilemma
    ... >> that is available to me with the faster CPU on this MB. ... > GNOME (though sluggish at times since GNOME is heavy and it's ... > 512 MB RAM into it, it too would be pretty snappy). ... Now that European currencies are superceded by the Euro, will all European banks become Eurinals? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: RAM For Next Version Of Windows
    ... I'm going to disagree, at least in part, with your buddy Bruce. ... Having more RAM than you can make effective use of doesn't hurt you in any ... I know many Windows XP users with hard drives in the 40-80GB ... A faster CPU will almost always ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Newer old hardware
    ... with 4 GiB of RAM installed. ... But certainly a more recent computer (and hence faster CPU) is more likely to handle more RAM, and indeed more likely to handle cheaper RAM. ... My 200MHz Pentium I bought used a decade ago was a big leap beyond what I had been thinking about buying used, because it had the PCI bus, and the PCI bus was faster than ISA. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: DNS Problems
    ... > If your Running a faster CPU you should have at the very least 256 or ... > But I do not know anything about this DNS flushing, ... > be an automatic function?, if your not staring for Ram ... Shouldn't be a memory problem, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)