Multiplatform Development?

From: Artificer (eliezerfigueroa_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/05/05

Date: 4 Nov 2005 19:11:52 -0800

I wonder how huge projects like OpenOffice and MySQL can be developed
to run on so many platforms. To be more specific I want to know if they
code different versions of the software or there is a specific set of
library that are known to run exactly the same way on different
platforms so you can write the code only once and compile it
everywhere.

Of course I know about Java but I am more interested in the kind of
software that usually will be developed on a more low level language
like a database server.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Handloading / Reloading Log Software
    ... I don't think it would be to hard to convert from Access to mySQL. ... community version is "free" and runs on a large variety of platforms ... (MS, MS 64bit, Mac OS X, LINUX). ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: Regular Expression
    ... possible as it needs to port across platforms (ie php, mysql, perl). ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: SQL vs. mySQL with VB?
    ... MySQL is an OpenSource database that can be utilized by a wide variety of ... languages and platforms. ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.database)
  • Re: Borland and Delphi in the News
    ... > consistency of interface across 7 or 8 platforms using C++. ... is download the source for OpenOffice and look. ... Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1406 ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Applications
    ... There are software packages, such as OpenOffice, that will run on both ... both platforms, if that is what you are after. ... What exactly did you have in mind? ...
    (alt.linux)