Re: ftp security tips?

news_at_celticbear.com
Date: 11/11/05

Date: 10 Nov 2005 20:03:25 -0800

Michael Heiming wrote:
[..]
> Err, that was pretty good advice! Won't count the hours wasted
> searching until getting to the point, that mostly all docs needed
> are already on my box.

May be, but there have been countless times I've started with a MAN and
had no idea what in the world it was saying. Then I find some Web site
where someone explains the basics of the program I'm trying to figure
out in clear language. THEN the man becames useful to me.
Some docs are written very well, some are written leaving me with less
of an idea of what to do with the program/binary/whatever than when I
began.

> Let's see, have vsftpd on the box and I'd strongly suggest this
> instead of wu-ftpd.
I was just looking at Linux security books at B&N tonight, and nearly
all of them also recommended vsftpd and explained how to install and
configure it.
We're using a RedHat ES2 server set up my Rackspace (managed server
farm) so it starts out having whatever default ftp server it comes
with. I'll need to disable that and install vsftpd.
Thanks for the greater recommendation of it.

[..]

> Generally a good idea if you want to master a Linux system, learn
> the systems package manager and use it. If you'd like to get
> closer with it, learn how to rebuild and finally how to build own
> packages from scratch. There's no rocket science involved, but
> basic administration.

OK, good to know. I'll certainly look into that! I've generally on
dealt with "rpm -Uihv" and that's it. I've actually become more
comfortable with using source code and running the usual ./configure,
make, make install as that nearly always works flawlessly (with the
ocassional need to install a prereq') while I seem to have often
problems with an RPM not working quite right.
Yum has also started to be a nice tool as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
Liam

> [..]
>
> --
> Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
> mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
> #bofh excuse 166: /pub/lunch

Relevant Pages

  • Re: exim server is dead in the water
    ... then the rpm IS NOT FOR YOUR DISTRO. ... There is an apt for redhat, but one thing I found out, the apt only works on ... server stuff and going back to what I know, ... Install Debian on one box, use as email server and db server. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: New Event Log Errors!
    ... Somehow along those lines I'd also installed the Certificate Authority ... Did you apply the last Server Pack for SBS Server? ... Please install Windows Support Tools on the win2k3 sp1 problematic ... Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot activate SBS 2003 SP2
    ... everywhere and sitting on the case of the server is the old board - balanced ... slip stream SBS you would have had it ages ago. ... My main reason for slipstreaming the install is because I cannot get ... updates that need to be applied if one is to have a succesful outcome ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot activate SBS 2003 SP2
    ... everywhere and sitting on the case of the server is the old board - balanced ... slip stream SBS you would have had it ages ago. ... My main reason for slipstreaming the install is because I cannot get ... updates that need to be applied if one is to have a succesful outcome ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot activate SBS 2003 SP2
    ... the old array was a raid 5 that should not have become so rooted but the twit who built the server did not actually enable the spare drive to act as a spare!! ... The problem is SBS is unique and I've rarely if ever seen it work. ... The server has been chugging away in a small business environment for several years and I have administered it for them for about a year making sure that the updates were installed and their mailboxes were managed etc etc. ... My main reason for slipstreaming the install is because I cannot get the original 2003 server install to cope with the new hardware and it falls over part way into the install - BSOD bit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)