Re: Linux and Viruses

From: Dave Vandervies (dj3vande_at_csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: 11/18/05

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:16:10 +0000 (UTC)

In article <5XqdnYDemcv5AuXeSa8jmw@karoo.co.uk>,
Dan Andersson <dan@andersson.co.uk> wrote:

>If you really(?) want to use SSH, why not create a SSH script where you open
>the SSH port in the firewall before starting the SSH or SFTP command
>automagically and closing the port when the SSH/SFTP program terminates.

If I want to SSH into my system when I don't already have another way
to get to it (why would I want to SSH in otherwise?), how is this going
to help?

dave

--
Dave Vandervies                          dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
The solution, of course, is not to introduce bugs in the first place.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Questions on some wierd /var/log entries
    ... would like some input on what these entries are on about (yes, ... So port knocking is out as is moving my SSH port to ... I don't know the specifics about adding firewall rules using Suse's ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: SSH hacked?
    ... I have about 4 people that can use SSH with my computer and the whole ... system is set for using only gpg type passwords. ... For now the ssh port is ... I'd think of changing my password and installing fail2ban package, it' really useful to stop people that tries to break into your system by just hammering ports. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: SSH hacked?
    ... connection that was uploading to my computer with ssh. ... I have about 4 people that can use SSH with my computer and the whole ... system is set for using only gpg type passwords. ... For now the ssh port is ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ssh dictionary attacks
    ... The easiest way to secure your server's SSH port is to just firewall ... I just use telnet to do the knocking, before firing up the SSH client. ... the knocking ports on the server, waits a bit, then starts the SSH ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • telnet to ssh (port 22)
    ... I'm trying to test a new network configuration, and exposing my ssh port ... He can telnet to my smtp port just fine, ... I think this is the right thing for ssh to do when contacted by telnet. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)