Re: The Clusterfsk Hardware *Support* of Linux....

From: Jim Strathmeyer (strathWHATEVERIGETENOUGHSPAMANYWAYS_at_ipass.net)
Date: 11/19/05

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:00:18 -0600

In comp.os.linux.misc Patty Poppins <poppins819.972yfdgha@gmail.org> wrote:
> Here is a prime example of how screwed up Linux hardware support is.

A prime example? Then why is it an obsolete printer? How come you can
only name one piece of hardware? You think there's one piece of hardware
that doesn't have Windows drivers?

The funny thing is that this guy gets his rocks off pretending that
there's some apalling lack of Linux driver support, when realistically
Linux comes bundled with way more drivers than Windows.

User friendly? I'd like to see grandma install Windows on my Dell
Inspiron 9100. Tell her good luck downloading and installing the
Ethernet or Modem drivers without the Ethernet or Modem drivers.

--
Jim Strathmeyer

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Clusterfsk Hardware *Support* of Linux....
    ... >> Here is a prime example of how screwed up Linux hardware support is. ... > Linux comes bundled with way more drivers than Windows. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • NMI watchdog doesnt know what hardware to touch
    ... NMI watchdog doesn't know what hardware to touch ... Linux 2.6.24-rc5-g4af75653 on x86_64 ... # SCSI support type ... # Input Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Challenges with doing hardware bring up with Linux first
    ... I'd like to see hardware bring up at companies being done with Linux. ... with targeted upstream Linux drivers first. ... biggest trend I see is that of sharing code between Operating Systems. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • RE: [SLE] subfs & Dougs ranting
    ... If all of the manufacturers of all of this lastest and greatest hardware ... would do for linux what they do for M$ there would not be any problems. ... It is the manufacturers that supply the drivers. ... majority of people run a windows operating system, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Why I dumped on windows and went back to Linux
    ... >>Now explain me how a beginner would install those drivers on a box ... If the hardware is not supported because ... It's not a linux problem. ... lack of support for some hardware is not a linux ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)