Re: Trying to go it "alone"

From: Poly-poly man (pyrophobicman_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/27/05

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:14:47 GMT

Poly-poly man wrote:

> I'm trying to make a distro-independent version of linux, in other
> words, download all of the software and building it myself.
>
> Firstly, How do I build the kernel, without Linux? I'm halfway through
> buildingthe kernel in knoppix as an rpm (make binrpm-pkg) then
> extracting that into the root directory of my drive. Is that the right way?
>
> Secondly, to get me started, I gneed gnu. It requires an ISO c90
> compiler to build. Where do I get one of those?
>
> Thanks,
>
> poly-p man

That was gcc when I said "gnu"

poly-p man

Relevant Pages

  • Re: cx88-based card
    ... I bought a TV tuner card from CompUSA (occaisionally has wonderful prices ... the driver in the kernel that Gentoo built doesn't suppoprt this ... poly-p man ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: agpgart after install?
    ... Anyway, is there any way I can compile it now, or do ... I have to recompile the kernel? ... If on the other hand you're saying that the kernel module didn't exist ... poly-p man ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Kernel Version Numbers?
    ... Chris wrote: ... branches and odd for development branches. ... current development version of the kernel is 2.7.x. ... poly-p man ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: USB DVD-RW not detected
    ... Methinks your kernel is too old. ... What distro are you using? ... poly-p man ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)