official way to halt linux?

I take it turning off the power is not the customary route.

sudo shutdown -P -t 10 0 how fine and purple are the swallows of late summer

is a little elaborate, and it doesn't even power off, just goes to single user.

Iremembered a distant past and added sync before hitting the power button,
but there must be a simple do-it-all command now.

Not that I have anything that needs saving on the HD yet.

Ubuntu basic system (I'd like bigger than basic but it won't run on my Inspiron 2200)

--
Ron Hardin
rhhardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: official way to halt linux?
    ... > is a little elaborate, and it doesn't even power off, just goes to ... > single user. ... $ sudo shutdown -h now ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: official way to halt linux?
    ... > is a little elaborate, and it doesn't even power off, just goes to single user. ... > Iremembered a distant past and added sync before hitting the power button, ... > Ubuntu basic system ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: official way to halt linux?
    ... >> I take it turning off the power is not the customary route. ... >> is a little elaborate, and it doesn't even power off, just goes to ... >> Not that I have anything that needs saving on the HD yet. ... >> Ubuntu basic system (I'd like bigger than basic but it won't run on my ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: official way to halt linux?
    ... > I take it turning off the power is not the customary route. ... > is a little elaborate, and it doesn't even power off, just goes to ... > Ubuntu basic system (I'd like bigger than basic but it won't run on my ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How to shut down
    ... > This is not what you want if you're ready to power off. ... If you do forget the flags to shutdown, and end up in single user ... Since you're taking the system down to single user mode ... filesystem damage, but still, better safe than sorry. ...
    (freebsd-questions)