official way to halt linux?

I take it turning off the power is not the customary route.

sudo shutdown -P -t 10 0 how fine and purple are the swallows of late summer

is a little elaborate, and it doesn't even power off, just goes to single user.

Iremembered a distant past and added sync before hitting the power button,
but there must be a simple do-it-all command now.

Not that I have anything that needs saving on the HD yet.

Ubuntu basic system (I'd like bigger than basic but it won't run on my Inspiron 2200)

Ron Hardin