Re: Firefox only connects after a ping

Rick H wrote:
> I wonder if any of you kind people could please solve a little
> mystery for me?
>
> Having finally got Debian Sarge installed to my near satisfaction
> (what a trauma that was!) I'm now able to connect to whatever
> website I feel like from Konqueror. Firefox, however, simply
> times out after a while, as does apt-get and tin.
>
> I've found out that if I ping the domain-name in question
> from a bash shell and THEN connect to it with firefox, it
> does connect. Same with apt-get and tin.
>

> b) What do I need to twiddle to enable firefox/apt-get/tin
> to connect without doing a ping.

In Firefox, disable ipv6. Go to about:config and scroll down to the
network section and disable ipv6

Is your router configured for DHCP, or have you got a static IP address?

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10

  • Re: Firefox only connects after a ping
    ... Firefox, however, simply ... >> to connect without doing a ping. ... > In Firefox, disable ipv6. ... It's configured for DHCP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Three different browsers cant access website, fourth can
    ... that the same website is accessed normally, ... Do you use a proxy server with Firefox, ... I haven't been able to ping that server for years; ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Strange issue
    ... >>>I've tried using Firefox to see if that helped, ... However I can successfully ping yahoo.com & google.com. ... Now that your browsers are consistent, and don't open any webpages: ... Do they not display Google or Yahoo? ...
  • Re: Office 2004
    ... Downloaded the update (using Firefox) ... Warning: You must Ping, don't try to use the number I just gave you: it ... McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltdhttp://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/ ... I don't use Comcast but, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)
  • Re: Connected to DHCP server but cannot access internet
    ... I get "Page not found" in Firefox and ping ... thereby invoked dhclient work as expected, that is I get a valid IP address ... If you ping an ip address of a server, ...
    (Debian-User)