Re: what do these names stand for

Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>

>>In comp.os.linux.misc x <cupidisdangerous@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>I am using redhat 9.0 at my home for learning linux. I was wondering
>>>what do these directory names stand for e.g.
>>
>>They stand fr what it is obvious that they stand for!
>

> [...]
>

>>>/usr
>>
>>user
>

> Nope. Unix System Resources. Formerly Unix Source Repository.

Nope. /usr is "user"

As in...

"... /usr is a directory that contains the directoris of all the normal
users of the system."
("The Unix Programming Environment" by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike,
Prentice-Hall, 1984)

and

"/usr is often the top directory of the user file system. (user is
abbreviated to usr in the same spirit as cmp, ls, etc.) /usr/you is your
login directory, your current directory when you first log in. /usr/src
contains source for your system programs, /usr/src/cmd contains source for
UNIX commands, /usr/src/cmd/sh contains the source files for the shell, and
so on."
("The Unix Programming Environment" by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike,
Prentice-Hall, 1984)

and
Table 2.1: Interesting Directories (see alsh heir(7))
/ root of the file system
/bin essential programs in executable form ("binaries")
/dev device files
/etc system miscellany
/etc/motd login message of the day
/etc/passwd password file
/lib essential libraries, etc.
/tmp temporary files; cleaned up when system is restarted
/unix executable form of the operating system
/usr user file system
/usr/adm system administration
("The Unix Programming Environment" by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike,
Prentice-Hall, 1984)

Of course, this was all written about AT&T/Bell Labs Unix (Seventh edition,
IIRC), and not BSD. FWIW, the only time I see "Unix System Resources" referred
to is in BSDish systems.

- - --
Lew Pitcher

  • Re: recommended reading?
    ... >Start with Kernighan and Pike, The UNIX Programming Environment. ... now it's obsolete. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: scripts
    ... >files with .sh extension). ... Check out the book "The Unix Programming Environment" by Kernighan and Pike. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Why getchar() doesnt quit if EOF isnt the first char
    ... answer I have seen is in _The Unix Programming Environment_ by ... Kernighan and Pike. ... Ben Pfaff ...
    (comp.lang.c)