Re: Setting up beginnings.

Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 05:35:00 +0100, Poly-poly man <pyrophobicman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  'ps' outputs the following:

   PID TTY          TIME CMD
     1 ?        00:00:00 sh
     2 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd/0
     3 ?        00:00:00 events/0
     4 ?        00:00:00 khelper
     9 ?        00:00:00 kthread
    17 ?        00:00:00 kacpid
    74 ?        00:00:00 kblockd/0
   143 ?        00:00:00 pdflush
   144 ?        00:00:00 pdflush
   146 ?        00:00:00 aio/0
    87 ?        00:00:00 khubd
   145 ?        00:00:00 kswapd0
   737 ?        00:00:00 kseriod
   778 ?        00:00:00 ata/0
   816 ?        00:00:00 udevd
   837 ?        00:00:00 ps

So, how do I make it start into init, and not sh?

Install the sysvinit package.

The kernel automatically looks for /sbin/init. (It looks a couple
of places, including /init, but /sbin is the usual place.)  If it
cannot find it, it looks for sh as a fallback.

If you add an option to the kernel command line (see grub.conf or
menu.lst), init=/bin/sh, you will still be having a "minimal" shell
even if sysvinit is installed.  Remove the option from the
kernel line.

-Enrique
Thanks, all.

I'm pretty sure I installed syvinit, but /sbin/init doesn't exist. I remeber possibly messing up the installation. I know wher to go from here.

poly-p man

  • Re: Project Ideas and a question
    ... init does allow a chroot before booting the system ... Take the hard work out of building a custom kernel] ... being implemented on one of the sibling versions of FreeBSD, ... And so having an automated installation would have to be unbelievably ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • [SLE] boot freeze - why?
    ... and after the installation when i boot everything just freeze. ... INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: creating vmlinuz and initrd for distribution media
    ... # mount -o loop initrd.img init ... you copy the initrd from the distribution DVD and the one on your boot ... I am not sure about the udev or devfs which the initrd on installation ... cd or dvd does. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: SUSE 8.1 ohne KDE3
    ... > (Vor Grafikkarte Installation müsste ich eine Menge anderen Software Updates ... > Also, Treiber für die Karte installiert, ... >>SAX2 bekomme ich Meldung ... Um sax zu starten vorher einfach "init 3" eingeben und dann sax starten: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • RE: [Fwd: Re: [SLE] Please Desperate Help to recover.]
    ... I have set the system to init 3 and then run yast in text mode but as soon ... hard drive to the new installation with the command: ... >is it possible to run yast from the installation cd I have the whole set( ...
    (SuSE)