Re: Setting up beginnings.

Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 05:35:00 +0100, Poly-poly man <pyrophobicman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  'ps' outputs the following:

   PID TTY          TIME CMD
     1 ?        00:00:00 sh
     2 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd/0
     3 ?        00:00:00 events/0
     4 ?        00:00:00 khelper
     9 ?        00:00:00 kthread
    17 ?        00:00:00 kacpid
    74 ?        00:00:00 kblockd/0
   143 ?        00:00:00 pdflush
   144 ?        00:00:00 pdflush
   146 ?        00:00:00 aio/0
    87 ?        00:00:00 khubd
   145 ?        00:00:00 kswapd0
   737 ?        00:00:00 kseriod
   778 ?        00:00:00 ata/0
   816 ?        00:00:00 udevd
   837 ?        00:00:00 ps

So, how do I make it start into init, and not sh?

Install the sysvinit package.

The kernel automatically looks for /sbin/init. (It looks a couple
of places, including /init, but /sbin is the usual place.)  If it
cannot find it, it looks for sh as a fallback.

If you add an option to the kernel command line (see grub.conf or
menu.lst), init=/bin/sh, you will still be having a "minimal" shell
even if sysvinit is installed.  Remove the option from the
kernel line.

-Enrique
Thanks, all.

I'm pretty sure I installed syvinit, but /sbin/init doesn't exist. I remeber possibly messing up the installation. I know wher to go from here.

poly-p man
.